General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

To change trans fluid or not to change?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 01:05 AM
Default To change trans fluid or not to change?

I have a 98 Accord 4 cyl. 2.3 automatic. I bought it with 90K on it. So far, I cannot locate any previous service records of any type of trans fluid change. So I "assume" it's still factory original. Should I change it, or not? Two NON honda mechanics recommended not to do ANYTHING since it still shifts normal, stating that if it was changed it would lose friction clearances due to the build up of shavings, etc. They then said if it was changed, all of that would run out and the new fluid would be "too thin" to operate the trans effectively, due to loss of friction clearances.... OK.... can anyone help me out? Thanks!

Old 11-15-2006, 02:09 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: To change trans fluid or not to change?

i would replace the fluid as soon as possible use only Honda ATF Z1 ,,if fluid looks real dirty i would run the car in gears for a bit ( wheel off the ground ) and replace it again ..

if there is a lot of dirt ,it could and will jam up the valves in the valve body .. then you will surely will have a shifting problem

Old 11-15-2006, 11:58 AM

First of all when you change your auto transmission fluid you are only able to drain a small portion of the fluid. For example, on my 91' I can only drain 2.5 qts of ATF while the total capacity is 6.3 qts. This is why its recommended to adhere to the fluid change interval...over the course of changing the fluid every so often you will eventually replace all the fluid before it goes bad. Second, there is a magnet attached to the drain plug to capture metal shavings which should be cleaned off- another reason you want to change your fluid often. Common practice by people who have a transmission that hasn't had a fluid change for a while is to change the fluid and then drive a 1000 miles or so then change it again....maybe doing this 3 or 4 times. Make sure to use only Honda ATF!

Old 11-15-2006, 12:13 PM

A newbie Question.....
does manual transmission too have a replacable transmission fluid ? How often do u have to change it? I have 1994 Honda Accord EX, manual transmission, no service records. Is there any way to find out if it was replaced? I was thinking of just getting it changed anyways if it can be changed. Where is the drain plug located in such car?

Thanks

Old 11-15-2006, 12:21 PM

ORIGINAL: abhijitgp

A newbie Question.....
does manual transmission too have a replacable transmission fluid ? How often do u have to change it? I have 1994 Honda Accord EX, manual transmission, no service records. Is there any way to find out if it was replaced? I was thinking of just getting it changed anyways if it can be changed. Where is the drain plug located in such car?

Thanks
replace it every 30k miles , use engine oil 10w-30

on the pass side there is a 17 mm head plug above the axle that 's the refill hole , below that there is a plug that takes a 3/8 spare rachet to remove it
drain and refill takes about 2.5 -3 qts

Old 11-15-2006, 04:02 PM

on a 98-02 accord I would change the atf every year regardless of miles driven. Those transmissions are very fragile........

Old 11-17-2006, 07:54 PM
Staged206K
Unregistered

This is a good question!!!!!

I have a 95 Accord and its got 200K+++++ miles....I'm guessing the tranny fluid has never been changed and was thinking of doing it too. It's dark but doesn't smell burnt. I'm old school like those mechanics from up above that stated that changing all the fluid would remove the grit/grab of the old fluid. I have experience with high mileage 70s GM cars with complete filter/fluid changes at high mileage that completely wasted the tranny in a few months/weeks....I'm scared as this Accord has been great......I'm riding it out for now but worried....

Soo, should just draining out a few quarts as stated above and refilling with new Honda ATF work without ruining the tranny??? Do it a few times over a few months.....would it be Okay??? WOuld love to know before experimenting and pissing off my wife.....and getting a smack to the back of the head...

Thanks

Old 11-21-2006, 01:41 AM
mckeand13
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: ArcticHonda

First of all when you change your auto transmission fluid you are only able to drain a small portion of the fluid. For example, on my 91' I can only drain 2.5 qts of ATF while the total capacity is 6.3 qts. This is why its recommended to adhere to the fluid change interval...over the course of changing the fluid every so often you will eventually replace all the fluid before it goes bad. Second, there is a magnet attached to the drain plug to capture metal shavings which should be cleaned off- another reason you want to change your fluid often. Common practice by people who have a transmission that hasn't had a fluid change for a while is to change the fluid and then drive a 1000 miles or so then change it again....maybe doing this 3 or 4 times. Make sure to use only Honda ATF!
Somewhat true but not completely.

If you go to a dealer, or most any shop for that matter, they will have an ATF changing machine. It is hooked into the cooler lines of the tranny. It is filled with new ATF. The car is started, and the new goes in, the old comes out into a container, all using the pump of the tranny. No high pressure or any concernes. Chaning fluid this way does completely change your fluid unlike a pan drain.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:04 PM

Interesting to know; I was going off of the Accord Service Manual procedures and specs.