Go Back   Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums > General > General Tech Help
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-29-2009, 07:47 PM

Default Changing front wheel bearing

Changing Front Wheel Bearing for 94 Honda Accord I need some help step by step would be good Help Please.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Honda Accord Forum!

Last edited by scooterdad; 10-29-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I am guessing you want to do the front ones. The front wheel bearing are pressed in and the dealership has a tool to do them on the car. At home you will need to take the steering knuckles off and take them to a machine shop to have them pressed in. I would recommend replacing the brake rotors at this time. I will give you the steps but you will need to look in the shop manual also. Take off the front tires, Front axle nut, bolt that holds the front brake line to steering knuckle, Calipers along with their mounting bracket, upper and lower ball joints and outer tie rod end. You also have to remove the outer CV joint from the hub. When you remove the tie rod and ball joints you leave the upper ball joint attached until you remove the CV from the hub. Last the hub.

The front axle nuts are very hard to remove without an impact wrench. I have had someone applied the brakes while I muscled it off with breaker bar. After taking off the ball joints and tie rod end nuts you have to get them out of the steering knuckle. You can use a tool call a pickle fork but it will tear the boots for the Steering components and I don’t think you can buy them alone. Put the nut back on the tie rod and ball joint for protection and hit the steering knuckle with a hammer where it surround the tie rod and ball joint. I am sure someone makes a tool to help remove the joints from the knuckle as it takes some hard hits to break them loose and you have to be careful not to hit the ball joint or tie rod end. When you install the new axle nut it is staked in place on the flat after torquing to the proper specs.

Look through the manual and hopefully I gave you enough tips to supplement the book. The steering knuckle is pretty heavy and when you get the last ball joint broken loose it will fall and hurt you if you don’t hold onto it.

Chris
Old 10-30-2009, 12:30 AM
Administrator. Happy Easter

www.patriotfiles.org WheelBrokerAng TheWheelBroker Retired Now wheelbrokerang
Send a message via AIM to WheelBrokerAng Send a message via Yahoo to WheelBrokerAng Send a message via Skype™ to WheelBrokerAng
Lightbulb

Good post with good answers there Kris, are you by any chance a mechanic?

WheelBrokerAng
Old 10-30-2009, 01:58 AM

A life time ago I did the used cars in dealership. I worked in the Honda dealership but we had many other brands and I did any brand. I know the older Hondas from my time there. As of late I worked for Roush where we did prototypes for Ford. We took a brand new vehicle striped it down to a shell and at a later date built the car Ford wanted. They would do a lot of about thirty at a time with different setups and make fully functioning cars out of them. Basically here is a car shell, a book with all the changes written in some kind of Ford shorthand no one could read, a collection of new parts and make a fully functioning car in thirty days with all the bugs resolved. There were ending bugs to be worked out, but somehow the cars all got finished and passed signoff inspection.

Chris
Old 02-07-2010, 09:18 PM

With all that, is the car's alignment affected?
Old 02-07-2010, 09:34 PM

Is your set up the same as the one in this link?If so,you can buy the tool from JC whitney for like 35 bucks.

Heres the link for a 97...not sure if it can apply to your 94,but for my 96 it does.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...u/DSC06928.jpg

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by 96FiveSpeed; 02-09-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:18 PM

How come if I post a link I get a warning and either the moderator deletes it or makes me take it down, but not with other members.

Chris
Old 02-09-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris_loehr View Post
How come if I post a link I get a warning and either the moderator deletes it or makes me take it down, but not with other members.
I guess I wasnt supposed to do that? Did not mean to violate the forum rules,just wanted to help someone else.Mods,if I did violate the rules,pls delete,meant no disrespect to the forum here.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:35 PM

After two warning I don't post links anymore.

Chris
Old 02-09-2010, 10:51 PM

I deleted the link...is the pic ok?
Old 02-09-2010, 10:51 PM

Tags
1999, 2003, 94, 99, accord, bearing, bearings, change, changing, cv, front, hits, honda, hub, joint, replace, wheel