Go Back   Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums > General > General Tech Help
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-29-2008, 05:13 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to delightfreestylemx
Default Changing your Odometer Mileage (non digital)

Has anyone attempted this? Is it even possible?

I've done it before on non digital american car speedos. (Possible yes, not to time consuming, cheaper than purchasing a new speedo off of ebay.)

My qustion is directed more twards' non digital honda speedos.

This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Honda Accord Forum!
Old 01-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Default RE: Changing your Odometer Mileage (non digital)

Kinda illegal
Accord Mafia Member #001
Old 01-29-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
ORIGINAL: delightfreestylemx

I've done it before on non digital american car speedos. (Possible yes, not to time consuming, cheaper than purchasing a new speedo off of ebay.)
How is changing the mileage on a speedo going to fix something that would normally require a new one?

And yeah, it's slightly illegal..
Old 01-29-2008, 07:44 PM

You know, it's perfectly legal to drive a car in reverse, so if you're really desperate,maybe that"Ferris Bueller's Day Off" trick will work. Put the rear up on blocks, put the car in reverse and see if the odometer runs backward.
2010 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS S-AWC, ultra-loaded
Old 01-29-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Tony1M

You know, it's perfectly legal to drive a car in reverse, so if you're really desperate,maybe that"Ferris Bueller's Day Off" trick will work. Put the rear up on blocks, put the car in reverse and see if the odometer runs backward.
*ROFL* after reading the first part of that post I immedietly thought "Ferris Bueller's Day off" and then I saw that you referanced it (it would also appear that you looked up the spelling like I would have had to *L*)

just be sure not to lean agains the car when it's up on the stands...
Old 01-29-2008, 08:21 PM

Besides the fact that it is "kinda illegal" &"slightly illegal" etc., not to mention everything else that humans do on this earth that are illegal ie: too low of a car, illegal lights, california stop's, nitrous off of the track & speeding,(i stunt mystreet bikes on the streets, highly illegal)etc etc etc.

We have ALL, and I mean ALL done something "kinda illegal" & "slightly illegal" once in our life time, which is not my primary point..

That being said, since Im obviously not trying to narc anyone here, I wont push the "has anyone done it" issue, rather "is it remotely possible"?
Old 01-29-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

Quote:
ORIGINAL: delightfreestylemx

How is changing the mileage on a speedo going to fix something that would normally require a new one?

And yeah, it's slightly illegal..
OK, example. In my 01' F350 (120k mile)my odometer stopped working. Speedo and tach worked fine. A week later, I took apart my cluster (non digital), and figured out what happend, my odomenter was froze/stuck.While inthe process oftrying to"unsticking" my odometer, I figured out how to easily change my mileage.

Being the good samaritan that I am (u'hemm) I added 100 miles (which is what I would have driven anyway in one week).

I wasnt able to take 10-50k off (although is an easy fix) because I have service records from TSB's from Ford stating my mileage.

**To answer the latter part of your question, a used one off of ebay w/75k miles was $300, I saved $300. Would it have also been illegal to "just pop in the used one with 75k miles and say nothing"?

Im not the ethical judge hear.

Now that we all know where Im coming from, is it possible with the accords? I dont want to tear into it unless I have to.

Gracias.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:

lol
Old 01-29-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:

If you try this, you may want to put the front up in the air. If you try it with the back in the air your odo is going to be the least of your probs LOL
Old 01-30-2008, 12:40 AM

Not real sure about Hondas. I am sure there is a way but the penalties are very stiff if you get caught not reporting it.
I had a 97 Explorer that the speedo/odometer broke. I purchased a whole dash cluster from an earlier model at a junk yard. Since the dash was a little different I took out the piece and changed it. Easy enough. I did report the mileage when I sold the car. Not that I am so honorable, I just thought how pissed off I would be if it happened to me. IMHO, Not worth the money that you would make or save. And Karma does come back.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:40 AM

Tags
1992, 2000, 2008, accord, back, change, changeing, honda, illegal, mileage, odometer, reverse, speedometer, turning, working