General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine light

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 04:04 PM
andeka
Unregistered

I told the mechanic to test the EVAP bypass solenoid valve and the EVAP vent shut valve. He hooked up the test kit and told me that I need to replace the shut off valve, and since the bolts and/or screws are frozen he needs to remove and replace the canister to remove the shut valve. He said that the evap vent shut is the same as the shut off valve. He said that he can replace the Canister and the Shut valve for $240. He said the Shut valve was good when he installed the 2way valve but has gone bad which make no sense to me at all. He charged me 139.95 for the 2way valve plus 100.80 for labor. Just does not sound reasonable to charge me labor again. I wait for expert advise, appreciated.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

the 2 way valve from Honda is around 70-80 dollars so you got overcharged there........

labor $ 100 , to diagnose, clear the ecu+ replace the valve is about right \\

Is it possible that the vent shut valve went bad since he last worked on the car ?? yes it is ///////////// but it is also possible that he did not fully diagnose it the first time around .
so only he knows the real truth,,
If vent shut valve went bad ( coincidence) than he should charge you labor again or at least not full but still some labor .......On the same token code p1457 does not come back on right away once ecu is cleared ,, so there is also a possibility that vent shut valve was bad along with 2 way valve and he failed to recognize that ..

So,, how long have you known him ?? do you trust him ?? and finally,, ask him to give you some off on labor since he was just there fixing the same issue

Old 08-21-2009, 05:04 PM
andeka
Unregistered

The light came back after 5 days. I remember hearing his technician that the new shut valve is different than the old one and perhaps that's why he did not instal it then.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:13 PM
andeka
Unregistered

Btw, can u also tell me the price for the shut valve and the canister. Thanx a bunch.