General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Coat Paint Damage

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 10:21 PM
rogersah
Unregistered
Default Clear Coat Paint Damage

I have a 1999 Honda Accord. The paint job is a mess. The clear coat is "wearing off" on several of the panels. Three years ago I had a bad accident with 2/3 of panels replaced. These panels are all in good shape. It is the original panels that are all going to hell. I live in Florida half the year and RI the other half. My guess is the Florida sun. Anyone know if a recall has been issued by Honda on their "bad" factory paint jobs?

Anything I can do to cover it up short of full paint job?

Old 09-30-2005, 12:41 PM
Default RE: Clear Coat Paint Damage

Go to this link and enter your information to access the Honda Owner Link. Once you get signed up, you'll be able to check all of the recalls for your car.

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp

Old 12-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Default RE: Clear Coat Paint Damage

I'm Upping this post because I have a similar problem with my clear coat. I just bought the car, however the clear coat is peeling behind the sunroof and begining to fade on the trunk.

, about 100 people have posted with a similar problem. Theya re trying to get a class action law suit. I read it's common with darker paint (metallic). I have hunter green metallic and I love this color. How can I rescue my car without dropping at least a greand on a paint job??

Old 09-03-2009, 10:01 AM
rgoshey
Unregistered

I have the exact same problem with my green 1998 Accord EX. It started on the trunk at both corners right near the back window. Later it showed up on the roof. The hood of the car is not as bad as far as the white showing up but the hood definitely has lost its shine even though I took good care of it over the years. I was at Pathmark the other day and there were three other green Accords in the parking lot with the exact same problem. I found it most embarrassing just recently when I had to attend a funeral and all my relatives noticed how bad my car looked in the parking lot. However, I do feel the problem is sun related as this only happens on the top surfaces of the car. The sides of my car still look brand new!
Click on the link below for others with the same problem:

http://www.hightechdad.com/2009/05/0...ling/#comments

Old 09-03-2009, 11:54 AM

Clear peel? No it isn't covered by warranty. Remember you are talking about 10+ year old cars and enviromental fallout is never covered. They don't cover acid rain or tree sap either. Would you expect honda to cover paint dissolving from bugs decomposing on the front fascia. If you leave bugs on your front end long enough it will eat the paint, same with tree sap. Be happy the paint (color) isn't coming off.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Administrator
Lightbulb Thanks Member

Originally Posted by mwierm
Go to this link and enter your information to access the Honda Owner Link. Once you get signed up, you'll be able to check all of the recalls for your car.

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp
This is a good link up for Honda Car owners..
Thank YOU for putting it in here..

WheelBrokerAng

Old 09-26-2009, 08:59 AM
jrberton
Unregistered
Default I don't accept that answer!

Originally Posted by mcnoople
Clear peel? No it isn't covered by warranty. Remember you are talking about 10+ year old cars and enviromental fallout is never covered. They don't cover acid rain or tree sap either. Would you expect honda to cover paint dissolving from bugs decomposing on the front fascia. If you leave bugs on your front end long enough it will eat the paint, same with tree sap. Be happy the paint (color) isn't coming off.
I have the same problem with my 1998 dark green Accord. I went to my dealer to see if there was a recall and of course there wasn't. Honda just won't admit it. There are several older Accords at my workplace with same problem. Hmm...coincidence?; I think not. Look at any other Japanese make of that year and you don't see widespread clear coat wear like this. I guess those models repel acid rain and bugs. Just Google Honda Accord, clear coat wear peel, and see how many hits you get.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:51 AM
Administrator
Lightbulb Hello Member: |Good |Link

Originally Posted by rgoshey
I have the exact same problem with my green 1998 Accord EX. It started on the trunk at both corners right near the back window. Later it showed up on the roof. The hood of the car is not as bad as far as the white showing up but the hood definitely has lost its shine even though I took good care of it over the years. I was at Pathmark the other day and there were three other green Accords in the parking lot with the exact same problem. I found it most embarrassing just recently when I had to attend a funeral and all my relatives noticed how bad my car looked in the parking lot. However, I do feel the problem is sun related as this only happens on the top surfaces of the car. The sides of my car still look brand new!
Click on the link below for others with the same problem:

http://www.hightechdad.com/2009/05/0...ling/#comments

This Link up is very good..everyone who is having paint problems should read it..I did and the info is very good...Thanks For The Link...WheelBrokerAng

Old 04-09-2010, 09:45 PM

you know, you could fill in the little spots w/ some touchup paint to keep the problems from adding up. even tho its a '99 it still prob needs some paint-work TLC here and there. try http://touchuppaintonline.com/Honda/Accord

Old 05-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Default 1996 Accord LX Clear Coat Paint Damage

For the last 4 years I have been losing my clear coat. It is at the point to where it has "infected" the entire car. As the clear coat problem has progressed, I couldn't help but notice at least 50% of the Accords on the road I see of the 1994-97 generation have this issue including my neighbors. This is clearly a defect and something needs to be done about it. Other than routine maintenance, my car has given me great service. Honda loyalist love our Accords and we want to be proud that we can put many years of trouble free mileage and still have a car that looks great.

In all business, satisfy your current client base so that they purchase again and refer friends to purchase the same product. This is my 3rd Accord, unless this issue is dealt with accordingly I will not be purchasing a Honda product again.

Quick Reply: Clear Coat Paint Damage