General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Clicking sound under glovebox causes ABS light to turn on and radio to turn off

Old 09-16-2006, 12:09 AM
JonR12
Unregistered
Default Clicking sound under glovebox causes ABS light to turn on and radio to turn off

My 97 Accord just started doing this today. As I drive, I hear a clicking sound under the glovebox which causes the ABS light to go on and the radio to flicker off for a second. After a second, everything is back to normal. Ten seconds later, it doesn it again. I pulled over and restarted the car and everything was fine for about 20 minutes, then it starts doing it again. I take it to my mechanic buddy and he checked the battery and alternator. He says the battery checks out fine but the alternator is charging at 14.5 V. He says that's very high, that it should only be between 13.5-14.2 (or something close to that). After I leave the mechanic shop, I notice that my clock has reset itself and now says 1:00. He tells me to google the issues I'm having and I've done that but haven't had much success. Does anyone have any idea about this? It seems like the relay switch behind the glove box is what's making the sound. I'm pretty sure I can change out the alternator myself but I'd like to know for sure that that is the problem. Any ideas out there? Thanks in advance!

Jon

Old 09-16-2006, 11:44 AM
Default RE: Clicking sound under glovebox causes ABS light to turn on and radio to turn off

could be a fuse problem, check that out. make sure there all in there right and none of them are blown

Old 10-12-2006, 05:47 PM
paniolo
Unregistered
Default RE: Clicking sound under glovebox causes ABS light to turn on and radio to turn off

I'm having the EXACT same problem in my '95 Accord Wagon. Also, when I turn the car off after one of these episodes it makes a little electrical pop like when you turn on a guitar amplifier. The engine runs fine during this but the ABS light, stereo, and speedometer all go a little haywire when the system goes pop.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:54 PM

I'm having the exact same problem with my car. It's a 1997 Accord EX 4 door 5 speed. Has anybody found the culprit of this problem?

Ben

Old 12-13-2007, 06:45 PM

if the clock reset the back-up fuse is loose or blown.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

ABS light will come on when voltage is low to the ABS controller. This will cause relays to open/close (clicking from under the dash). Is the battery starting the car easily?

A bad battery cable might cause this problem. Look for corrosion around the positive battery post. Remove, clean, and reinstall.

good luck

Old 12-13-2007, 07:01 PM

*ROFL* I never thought I'd see this again... It happened to my car and drove me nuts... Do any of you by chance have an XM radio? Or something plugged into the cigarette lighter? if it does it again unplug whatever you have into the cigarette lighter and see if it stops... The moment I unplugged my XM roady the issue went away.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:59 PM

I had the problem as well
Actually, my problem included the ABS activating every time I used my brakes, and there would be a clicking, until it all shut off, the ABS pumping and the clicking. I never tested if that shut the ABS off.

ANYWAYS:
It could be that after an axle replacement, if you receive a reconstituted whatever axle, there may be a groove in the gearing, causing the ABS sensor to believe the wheel is slipping when it isn't.

That's what happened to me, at least.
Hope this helps

Old 02-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Since the ABS light is on, you should short the service connector to get the code stored in the TCU.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:56 PM

For this particular issue. If someone has a 94-97 accord and it's doing what mine was it doesn't store a code but it will illuminate the ABS light....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clicking sound under glovebox causes ABS light to turn on and radio to turn off