General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate Control Issue, no light, no control 98 accord

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 07:58 PM
greenbean
Unregistered
Default Climate Control Issue, no light, no control 98 accord

The climate control panel in my 98 accord LX has a random issue.
If the light is lit above a button, say for the floor vents, I can switch to another option, like the defroster, but more often than not, there's no light lit on the panel and I can't change where the air comes out. I can increase fan speed, but that's it.
The rear defroster is also out of commision when the panel isn't working. With winter around the corner I'm worried about keeping my rear window clear and having a safe drive to work in the snow.

I've read about solder joints possibly going bad. The summer heat hasn't seemed to influence when the panel goes dead. Pulling the panel enough to wiggle wires hasn't shown a short either. Please help!!

Old 09-14-2007, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Climate Control Issue, no light, no control 98 accord

I have heard of possible problems w/ the connector to the climate control (in general, not Hondas specifically). Fix was to pull connector and clean contacts w/ a rubber eraser. Apparently some of them are very low voltage/amperage and a high resistance connection can cause problems. All this is 2nd hand, hearsay as lawyers say. If that doesn't work, I would look to a used climate control. Some used parts places will let you do a swap w/ a no-fix, no-pay arrangement. Check car-part.com for used parts near you. You will probably have to call to find an ATC instead of the manual. Not sure how difficult it would be to substitute the manual for ATC.

Add your car description to your signature line for quicker responses and less confusion.

good luck

Old 09-21-2007, 03:14 PM
greenbean
Unregistered
Default RE: Climate Control Issue, no light, no control 98 accord

Tried cleaning the contacts, but it still had the same issues. Ended up buying a used Climate Control Panel online. Cheap fix and things seem to be working well.

I'm guessing the problem is somewhere in the circuit board connected to the panel, but I didn't tear into it to see if something looked fried.

I appreciated your input TexasHonda. Thanks!