General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunk into reverse at cold start

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 01:44 PM
Default Clunk into reverse at cold start

I've got a 2005 Accord V6 that slams when I shift into reverse on cold start. Once I've driven a bit, it reverses normally. Though, I'd say in both cases it shifts into reverse about a half second later than it shifts into drive.

I read it could be the motor mounts but that doesn't explain the slight delay. Is that normal for Reverse to be slightly slower engaging than Drive? And why would motor mounts explain that it only does it from cold start?

Thx

Old 02-13-2014, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

It's easy to check for loose engine mounts, just open the hood & have someone watching while you shift. Or hold the brake hard & raise the engine RPM while it's in gear. Either way, you're watching for excessive engine movement.

Why only when it's cold??
Idle RPM is higher when its cold.
ATF is thicker when its cold.
Perhaps it would do the same thing hot, if you were to hold the RPM up then shift. (no, don't do that)

Not sure about the delay, unless it's a deliberate programming thing to allow you to shift back to neutral if you didn't really mean it.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:10 PM

Thanks, I'll take a look...

Old 02-13-2014, 05:52 PM

It's hard to tell. The engine doesn't move as badly as some I've seen on Youtube, but there is some very slight movement when shifting to reverse. So I can't tell if it's supposed to do that or not. If it's just supposed to stay absolutely firm, then I think it's the mounts.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

No, the mounts ARE supposed to have some flexibility. Does it clunk when you're watching with the hood open? Can you pinpoint the location of the sound?

Old 02-14-2014, 01:02 AM

Actually, it's harder to hear the clunk from outside the car. The person in the car can hear and feel it clearly. From the outside, all you see is just a slight wiggle of the engine. I'd say no more than 1/2 inch? Hard to say but definitely not like the one I saw on youtube where it clearly rocked back and forth with shifting.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:00 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by eepyikes
... slams when I shift into reverse on cold start. Once I've driven a bit, it reverses normally.
Though, I'd say in both cases it shifts into reverse about a half second later than it shifts into drive.

I read it could be the motor mounts but that doesn't explain the slight delay. Is that normal for Reverse to be slightly slower engaging than Drive? ...
I'd be sure the A/T tranny fluid is Honda brand.
If not certain, I'd drain & refill twice, separated by >5 mile drive.
$.02 - best.