General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

computer reset

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 07:55 PM
Default computer reset

OK I have a really big problem. My 96 Honda Accord EX 5spd had a check engine light so I disconnected the battery to clear out the trouble codes to see if I could get my car inspected. Which, I have done this before and it worked. I drove the car 200 miles and the computer has yet to reset it's self. The trouble codes are no longer there and it's showing that certain parts are unregistered like the catalys, catalys sensor, AC sensor, O2 sensor and two other systems although 5 are showing up and are complete. What could this be? My brother recently changed the light bulb in my check engine light and hooked it back up while he was doing this he some how broke the gas guage. So I am wondering if the broken gas gauge has anything to do with the ECM problem. What do you guys think? Any info would be greatly appreciated. By the way I'm a chick so please explain your answers in lamens terms. Thanks in advance. Breeze

Old 05-22-2006, 08:43 PM
Default RE: computer reset

Alright breeze so this info is going to be based on stuff I've read before not personall knowledge but... I once read a post where someone said that honda's will use the instrument panel to a certain extent as a part of it's readings on the vtech engines. If that is true then I would say yes a broken gas gauge could cause some of those problems... otherwise I have no idea. Sorry I'm not more help but I tried!

Old 05-23-2006, 04:22 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ok,,i am not sure if i got this right ...............

there was a chk engine lite,, you disconnected the battery to clear the it,,,you drove car and has yet to reset itself..
what do you mean has yet to reset itself ?? chk engine lite still on ??
and what do you mean certain parts are UNREGISTERED ???catalys. sensor, a/c sensor. o2 sensor ....2 other system ??...5 are showing up and are complete ??

I am totally lost here...what exactly do you mean ?? either i am not undestanding your explination ,,, or ,,my friend ,you are not explaining it properly ...

are you saying that there are all those codes stored ???
I will try to help you out but i cannot unless i understand what is going on,,

Old 05-23-2006, 05:57 PM

Desert Honda I unhooked the battery and then drove for 60 miles. I took car to get it inspected and the print out from the OD machine said system unready. All systems have not registered. I then drove the car up to 200 miles and took it back and the ECM was still unready. From what I understand the ECM has to reset and my ECM is not resetting. So therefore there are no codes but the car will not pass emissions untill the ECM has scanned all systems and the ECM says everything is ok or spits out some codes.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:21 PM

Sometime it takes a few drive cycles for the monitors to run.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:31 PM

Hello everyone I just wanted to follow up. I tried again today to get the car inspected and still no change. The car is now at Honda and hopefully something good will come of it. They had told me that they could do the inspection. Although they wouldn't give me a rental car when the ecm is the problem. i have decided that if Honda gives me anymore problems with the emission warranty and my car I will be paying for the repairs then taking legal action against them. I have had too many problems with my check engine light and even if I'm nice and patient Honda still poops on me. It's frustrating I just hope that no one else on this site has had these problems. I will let you guys know what Honda tells me. I will definately want everyones feed back. Thanks for listening. Breeze

Old 05-25-2006, 03:32 AM

thanks for keeping us informed,,,,,,Please let us know the outcome ...

Old 05-25-2006, 09:50 PM

yea let us know what happens

Old 06-05-2006, 01:12 AM

OK so finally I'm back. I went out of town last weekend. My car finally did its thing but it still had 2 unreadiness codes. In nc the state will pass the car with up to 2 unreadiness codes. Not long after it was inspected the check engine light came back on. I am noticing a pattern with the check engine light. When there is a quarter of a tank of gas the check engine light will come on and recently when the tank was at a quarter of a tank the light went off. Does anyone know what this could mean? Next time the check engine light comes on because I know it will I'll get the code and post it. Thanks for always listening. Breeze

Old 06-05-2006, 09:46 AM

for future reference when you reset your ecu you MUST start the car and let it idle for at least 5 mins so the ECU can relearn the idle.

if your check engine light is coming on at 1/4 tank or less, check your fuel pressure as it may be an indication that your fuel pump is about to fail and the car is setting a code for fuel delivery problems.

Quick Reply: computer reset