General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

condenser fan switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

If it is the radiator fan not working take a look at the wiring and ground connection at G201 (see image). Make sure it is clean, no corrosion, and secure.

Last edited by redbull-1; 10-05-2014 at 01:15 PM. Reason: image removed
Old 09-22-2014, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a test for the radiator fan.

1. Take out the radiator fan relay from the under-hood fuse/relay box.

2. Where terminals A and B would normally plug in, insert a jumper wire in the fuse/relay box. The radiator fan should run.

Terminal A and B looks to be the copper colored terminals in the image of the relay. Also see other attached image regarding the power relay terminal letters. Do not insert anything where terminal C and D would normally plug in.

Attached Thumbnails condenser fan switch-power-relay.jpg   condenser fan switch-smp-ry621_gp_xl.jpg  
Old 09-23-2014, 03:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I see, I'm sorry. It is the radiator fan that is not working though. I will try your tests and see what I come up with.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I hope I don't sound like a complete idiot here but does this look normal? I cleaned it up as best I could and put it back on, then tried jumping the fan the way you instructed and it did not run.

Attached Thumbnails condenser fan switch-ground.jpg  
Old 09-24-2014, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

1. I can't tell anything from the picture regarding the ground.

2. Did you jump where the radiator fan relay plugs in? Or did you jump Switch A?

If you jumped where the radiator fan relay plugs in, and nothing happened; then it can be an issue with either:
  • Power from under-hood Fuse 39
  • Ground
  • Wiring
3. With the radiator fan relay pulled out, test for power (with your test light) at the terminal cavities where I mentioned to place the jumper (one side should have power). If there is power, then it leaves the issue being with the wiring.

Last edited by redbull-1; 09-24-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I tried jumping from the relay, and there is power from one cavity.The issue must be with the wiring then, ill look some more for signs of damage.
I did not think of it until now but, The car had been sitting awhile before I bought it, and had a couple weird things like the dome light inside and the signal beep that the door is open with key ignition didn't work for a couple weeks even after all fuses were checked, then one night (oddly enough during a thunder storm) those things began working as if by magic and have been working fine ever since. Any way my point is, I should have guessed some wiring issues and I apologize for failing to mention that weird experience sooner.
Thanks again for all your help and patience.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

No need to apologize, I want to figure this out too.

So, do you know for sure the radiator fan motor is good? Have you tried applying direct battery power and ground to the motor? You can use speaker wires or other wires and connect battery power (+) to the motor's connector blue wire and body ground (-) to the motor's black wire. The motor's connector C208 is shown in the attached photo.

You may also want to closely examine this connector and wiring and make sure both sides of the connectors are secure with each other.

Last edited by redbull-1; 10-05-2014 at 01:16 PM. Reason: image removed
Old 09-24-2014, 07:02 PM

I apologize if someone already mentioned this but I don't have the time to read the entire thread. Have you tried disconnecting the fan connector on the fan shield and hot wire the fan to ground to see if the motor is good. If it spins and there is power to the relay it is likely either wiring between the relay and the fan connector or the relay. Read the part number on the relay and look at the other relays, you WILL find another one for another circuit. Pull another relay of the same P/N and install it in the fan relay terminal to rule that out. The other candidate is the engine temperature sensor.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:03 PM

Oops. I guess redbull beat me to the punch.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies

eureka! I just tried directly jumping the fan connector as instructed and it did not run. The wiring and connectors look fine so I guess I'm looking at a bad fan motor.

Quick Reply: condenser fan switch