General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Condenser Fan won't shut off

Old 04-30-2007, 08:29 PM
cardiovoid
Unregistered
Default Condenser Fan won't shut off

Hi,
I'm new to this website. I was excited to have found it. My 1996 Accord EX 4cyl has a condenser fan problem. It won't shut off after the car is turned off. It will stop if I pull the condenser fan fuse located in the engine compartment.

How do I begin to troubleshoot this? Are there sensors or relays I can test?

Any info is appreciated.

C

Old 04-30-2007, 08:49 PM
Default RE: Condenser Fan won't shut off

Here's some of the basic tests.... I'd probably start with the A/C relay test.... this is from a 94 manual but it should be the same

[IMG]local://upfiles/3079/6BF6CAFA764F4C4785FBBDA9FFDFF098.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3079/22431DCAF3DE484D8D888D50245E4AC6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-01-2007, 12:53 AM
cardiovoid
Unregistered

Thanks for your reply....I will try these and let you know what I find out!

Old 05-01-2007, 01:32 AM
cardiovoid
Unregistered

Okay...this is wierd. I put the condensor fan fuse back in so thatI could start testing things and the fan did not turn on. The fuse is good.

When I turned the A/C on the fan still did not run. Is it supposed to run whenever the A/C is on? or only at certain temperatures?

Old 05-01-2007, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator

Both fans should turn on as soon as you turn on your a/c. The relay is in the fuse box under the hood. There is a relay for the power windows right next to it. Switch the relays to see if the fans work and the windows stop working.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:04 PM
cardiovoid
Unregistered

K...i'll try that tonight...thanks for your reply!

Old 05-01-2007, 11:02 PM
cardiovoid
Unregistered

I tried the relay test. They are both good. Now the fan is running again. With the ignition off and the condenser fan fuse pulled the fan shuts off. With the ignition on and with the condenser fuse still pulled, the fan runs.

With the key off and condenser fan fuse in, I pulled the cooling fan fuse by the clutch and the fan still runs.

I unplugged the fan timer located near the glove box ( at least i think thats what it is)and the fan still runs.

The fan runs very weak when it does run. At some points it stops but I can still hear the fan motor buzzing.

So something is sending power through the circuit thatthe Condenser Fuse is on. What could thast be?

Old 05-02-2007, 04:07 AM
Super Moderator

Ok, the fuses to cut off the circuit are different for when the ignition switch is on or off.

I downloaded the electrical suppliment from the link in the DIY section of this forum. I would suggest that you do that.

Fuse number 4 would be the one to pull when the ignition switch is at the I position.

Looking at the diagram, I would say that Engine Coolant temperature switch B is bad. It would provide power to the fans no matter where the key turned to in the ignition.

It is located on the front of the engine on the passenger side. The sensor either has a green plug or a green body (I can't remember right now). I would unplug that when the fan is staying on. It should turn off the fan. There should be no continuty (infinite resistance) when the engine is cold. It might be "stuck on" causing the fan to stay on constantly.

Its not hard to replace. You'll have to drain the coolant. Unscrew the switch with a socket, screw the new one in, and refill the coolant.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5767/24B07202F43D46D7926AFBF9C57A2ADE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-04-2007, 09:39 PM
cardiovoid
Unregistered

Okay...I have my schematics and voltometer ready....but now it is acting fine...ughhh...