General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confirmed Fix -1999 Accord has non working Wipers, Parking lights, and cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 10:11 PM
TJH
Newest Of Newbies
Default Confirmed Fix -1999 Accord has non working Wipers, Parking lights, and cruise control

I am working on a 1999 Accord LX for my friend.
(He is moving out of town, and I need to have it completed in the next couple days). I have been working on it for two days so far. I can't give the car back to him like this.

The symptoms are
:

Nonworking parking lights, cruise control light, odometer light, Gauges light, Clock light, and Windshield Wipers (might be unrelated).

The parking light bulbs and the backlit gauges themselves work fine when the switch is set to "on", but nothing when switch is set to "parking lights".
(And lighting for digital odometer, clock light, and wipers will not work in either setting). Hazards and turn signals work like normal, but nothing happens when I switch to "parking lights".

My Hunches are:
I am wondering what the following things have in common:
the cruise light (on the Push-in "Button" on the dash),
the parking-lights when in the "parking-light position",
and the backlighting for the gauges when in parking-light setting.

Could it be the switch, a relay, or a good ol' fashioned short circuit?
I have not driven the car over 30mph to test the functionality of the cruise control. (maybe it is separate.)
And what would the nonworking wipers have to do with it? (my friend "says" the wipers work "sometimes"). Maybe they are related, maybe thats a separate problem. It would be nice to have wipers, if anything, though.
also, there is an optional slot in the multiplex under the hood with a spot labeled "(7.5 amp) (Dimming Relay)" I can't tell if the receptacle for this fuse was damaged (pushed through), but it looks like it was always blank. The Dimmer in the gauge cluster seems to be working correctly when headlight switch is in the "On" position.

The 3 or 4 Big Questions:
How do I know if it is a switch or a gash in a wire?
(They are equally likely on this car). Should I be testing relays?
And Do the Wipers, parking lights, and cruise control have any specific wire, relay or switch in common? If I could address them in priority, it would be in that order.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone have any Ideas? Has any one else solved this anomaly?

Old 08-09-2013, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

There may be more fuses to check; but, first check the No. 10 (10A) fuse located in the passenger side fuse box.

Btw: The spot labeled "(7.5 amp) (Dimming Relay)" is unused and goes no where; so, that is of no concern.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

Windshield wipers may be unrelated as you stated.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:49 PM
TJH
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the replay.
That fuse was working, but i felt is was little loose (like it might fall out).
So, to test I pulled it out and tested tried the parking lights. Everything was still not working, and with out the fuse, the door and dome lights would not illuminate.

I plan on replacing that fuse panel with one from the junk yard.

And yes, this car could have a series of issues.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:51 PM
TJH
Newest Of Newbies

If i could fix one thing, it would be the wipers.

What fuse are they on? Do they have their own relay?

Thank you for your help on this.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

I'll get back to the wiper issue later.

The problem with the lighting issue occurring only in the "parking light" setting may be due to a faulty combination light switch.

You can test it if you want to. At the combination light switch, there is a 14-P Grey connector. With a voltmeter black lead touching chassis ground, touch the red lead to a backprobe into the terminal where the Red/Blk wire is when the light switch is turned on to the parking light setting. There should be voltage when switched to the parking light setting.

If not, then with the black lead attached to chassis ground, touch the red lead to a backprobe into terminal where the Red/Grn wire is and see if there is power (it should have power coming from the passenger side fuse box (fuse No. 10).

Backprobing is backprobe set or using a thin needle or something and make contact with the metal terminal of the connector without piercing the wire in the back of the still connected connector.

Attached Thumbnails Confirmed Fix -1999 Accord has non working Wipers, Parking lights, and cruise control-combination-light-switch.jpg  
Old 08-09-2013, 11:19 PM
TJH
Newest Of Newbies

Ok. I'l go try it now.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

For the wipers, check the No. 12 (30A) and the No. 7 (7.5A) fuses located in the driver's side under-dash fuse box.

There is an intermittent wiper relay in the system (located in the left rear of the engine compartment, near the brake master cylinder); but, that should not cause the wipers to not work like what you're describing.

Check ground connections at G401 and G302.

Attached Thumbnails Confirmed Fix -1999 Accord has non working Wipers, Parking lights, and cruise control-ground-g401.jpg   Confirmed Fix -1999 Accord has non working Wipers, Parking lights, and cruise control-ground-g302.jpg  
Old 08-10-2013, 12:45 AM
TJH
Newest Of Newbies

You are a life saver. I'm working it right now.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:05 AM
TJH
Newest Of Newbies

Ok. About the parking light (combo switch)...
I played around with #10 fuse on passenger side so much that it will not hold the fuse anymore.

I plan on going to the junk yard to get another passenger side fuse panel tomorrow.

I tested both items, Red/Blk (switch on) and Red/Green, and read Zero voltage.
Are we certain that fuse #10 feeds the parking lights?

The the side markers still come on with the headlight combo switch in the "On" Position. And turn signals work too.

Also, it had this problem before I broke the #10 receptacle. #10 was working (to some degree) as I no longer have courtesy lights without it, but I did before.

Quick Reply: Confirmed Fix -1999 Accord has non working Wipers, Parking lights, and cruise control