General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Constantly have to replace a honda radiator hose. Anybody know why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 06:15 PM
Default Constantly have to replace a honda radiator hose. Anybody know why?

I have a 94 Honda Accord LX Sedan and I keep having a frequent issue where my car leaks anti-freeze and overheats because the hose bust. So my mechanic replaces the hose and the problem appears to be fixed for a while but then maybe 4 months later I have the same problem. I would like to know if anyone has had this problem and if they have ideas as to what could be causing it. My mechanic only seems to be charging me up, but I know there's still a problem because a hose should last for a good 10 years, shouldn't have to keep replacing it. Could it be that the hose he is putting on is just a cheap hose? However, the mechanic keeps saying the hoses are new! If these are new hoses Honda must not be making good radiator hoses, and if so is there an alternative hose that would last like its supposed to. I just don't see having to replace radiator hoses like this, I have already replaced hoses 3-4 times.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There are two radiator hoses; upper radiator and lower radiaotor. Lower radiator is much longer and more flexible, and not likely the problem, but you need to be clear. Where are hoses failing? at connection or elsewhere?

If lower radiator hose is the problem, I would suspect poor quality hose and/or poor installation practice.

If upper radiator hose, I would first suspect poor quality replacement, but would also check for excessive engine movement. This upper hose has limited flexibility (short), so would be subject to damage if the engine is moving forward/back excessively. This might happen if motor mounts (front and rear) are damaged.

Suggest replacing w/ OEM hose. They are excellent and last for years.

I'm moving this to correct forum.

good luck

Last edited by TexasHonda; 01-22-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:48 PM

My mechanic replaced the lower hose, but I had the upper hose and lower hose replaced during the summer of last year.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:53 PM
Administrator

I would venture to say that the hose dosen't fit correctly or is rubbing thru..

Old 01-24-2011, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

I've always used Gates belts and hoses and never had an issue. If this happens again, get the old hose and post some pic's. Might help to identify if it is a "rub" or burst...Don't want to go there yet but if there is a gasket issue it could cause the hose to burst. Again, without "seeing" or understanding exactly what is causing the issue.

There are several smaller hoses (not the upper or lower rad hoses) on this car, so are you saying the same one(s) are being replaced each time?

Old 01-29-2011, 04:00 PM

Thanks poorman212 for for the information and yes the same hoses have been replaced multiple times in less than a year. I will take some pictures of the hoses if it happens again like you suggested.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

I hope it does not...but if so please post pic's and note which one it is. Good luck.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:03 PM

had a similar problem but my hoses lasted longer than yours and I changed mine before any bursting(actually I did loose a heater hose that was toasted). my problem was excessive heat, the hoses would turn white-ish after awhile, i had a new radiator, new oem thermostat and water pump wasn't too old but the hose told me it was running hot(temp gauge was normal) when it rained a little, steam would come off the hood.
I finally decided to change the radiator & condesor fan assembly because it was about time to do it, 17 years old and the price was right at less than 80 bucks for both of them(unfortunatley those prices have gone up alot). After that the heat problem was solved the temp gauge showed a cooler running motor and even cooler w/ ac on. sometimes those fans don't spin so fast and it's time to retire them
Don't go out and buy new fans unless you know that's your problem!
I don't wanna get wack'd for suggesting you throw money at it.
This was just my experience YMMV.