General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant leak but no over heat

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 05:33 PM
vmac1
Unregistered
Default coolant leak but no over heat

for a couple weeks now my coolant has been leaking a little. but the strange part is taht it doesn't over heat. i open the radiator cap and check the coolant and there is no cooolant in thier also. so it means that the coolant is not getting sucked into the radiator or something. i have a/c but the a/c doesn't work so i dont use it. i've replaced the radiator with a used one and replaced the piping's, thermostat and gasket. oh and this is a 91 honda accord lx. anyone have any answers as to why this is happening??? and the radiator has been pressure tested already also.
thx,

Old 06-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Default RE: coolant leak but no over heat

check your passenger side floorboard and see if it's a little wet or smells like coolant.... is it leaking into your interior? (I.E. bad heater core)

Old 06-05-2007, 05:46 PM
vmac1
Unregistered

i just checked it and thier is no odor and its not wet on passenger side floor. although the leak is coming from the passenger side. it's running down the side right before the air filter or behind it. i'm not sure how to describe it but hopefully you understand. i cannot see the leakfrom uptop or where it would be leaking from but its in that area. hopefully that helps, if not i will try to explain a little better if needed.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:51 PM
vmac1
Unregistered

oh yeah and another thing is before the leak happened my radiator fan never needed to stay on after i turn off car. now it stays on for a bit before shutting down also...if this helps

Old 06-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you need to find out where the leak is at and fix it,, if thewre is no coolant or very low on coolant, engine overheats but it will NOT show it on the gauge . temp sending unit does not sense hot air ,, only coolant ( liquid ). also it is a normal condition for the main cooling fan ( pass side ) to come on after you shut the engine off especially in summer time , usually fan runs 10 minutes or so,, if it runs more it could also be because it is very low on coolant ..
In other words fix the leak ASAP ,, pressure test cooling system to locate the leak before you ruin your engine

Old 06-05-2007, 06:02 PM
vmac1
Unregistered

okay thx for the help, i guess i will have to get it pressure tested now then.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:03 PM

If it's on the passenger side it's most likely your upper radiator hose or thermostat housing.... not a guarantee but as Deserhonda said it's something that you need to inspect immedietly.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:37 PM

try checking your thermostat housing,,it should be a metal cooling pipe goig 2 it..and check the right rear side of your intake manifold,coolant runs tru thier also..these areas were both the cause of my coolant leaks..

Old 07-03-2007, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Check the heater hoses also. These can leak and be very difficult to spot. I would also check the water pump drain on the drivers side, lower back side of timing belt cover. I've found there's no substitute for hand inspection of every inch of hoses looking for small stream/drops of coolant.

good luck