General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Coolant Overflow Tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Coolant Overflow Tank

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Just keep a close eye on the level and make sure you do not overheat the engine. If you continue to have problems, there may be some other tests to verify a bad head gasket.

The gauge in the video link below is at the normal operating temperature.

97 Honda Accord up and down idle - YouTube

If the needle moves towards H, turn on the heat full blast with the recirculate off. That will help remove heat from the coolant and prevent damage.
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I am having almost the same issue.

Coolant reservoir is full, seems like coolant is pushed to it, but never sucked back again. Car shows the gauge in normal temperature range, but sometimes in stop and go traffic, temp starts to rise till half or 3/4 of the gauge. Then fan kicks in and gauge starts to go down till 1/2 or at normal point.

I have bled the system many times through the bleeder valve, fans do come on, switch 'A' and 'B' both are new. On a cold start, if I turn on the AC, seems like both fan do not come on, is it an issue? Also, I have an aftermarket thermostat(bought from advance auto), could it be a problem?

I have replaced the radiator recently and radiator cap with this one :
Shepherd Auto Parts 1 Row w/o EOC w/ TOC OEM Style Complete Replacement Radiator : Amazon.com : Automotive Shepherd Auto Parts 1 Row w/o EOC w/ TOC OEM Style Complete Replacement Radiator : Amazon.com : Automotive

This random overheating and full reservoir are driving me nuts, any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

P.S:I can start a new thread too, so please don't get upset on me, trying to prove and show that i have done search/research and trying to troubleshoot to fix this issue.

Thanks guys!

Old 02-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

I just started your own thread to make things less confusing. Here is the thread you referenced:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ng-full-50082/

I would install an OEM thermostat and try the old radiator cap. BTW, why did you replace the radiator?

Old 02-09-2013, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Please also clear something up for me. If the AC works (compressor kicks on), when you turn on the AC both fans should come on...please verify/confirm this.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:19 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I just started your own thread to make things less confusing. Here is the thread you referenced:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ng-full-50082/

I would install an OEM thermostat and try the old radiator cap. BTW, why did you replace the radiator?
I changed the radiator, because it's leaking from the place where plastic body meets the fins.

Which thermostat(Stant, Gates, Motorad, also 180/195)? This is an aftermarket radiator, so the cap is different from the OE one

If I start the AC on a cold start, fans should start immediately or it has to reach the operating temperature? Should I keep it to the coolest position, turn on the AC and Fan, then both fans have to kick, or please correct me if I am missing something?

Last edited by faran; 02-09-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

The rad fans (both) will run when the car is running and the AC is on (again the AC system is working).....cold, warm or hot does not matter.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:04 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by poorman212
The rad fans (both) will run when the car is running and the AC is on (again the AC system is working).....cold, warm or hot does not matter.
Here is the update, no fan run, if I put the temperature to the coldest while turning on the AC, I have tried on a cold start, as well as when car has reached operating temperature or when the gauge is rising towards the 'Hot' region.

Is this an issue or a problem? Because I can see fans running and kicking, when the temperature gauge rise.

BTW, since last year AC does not work, not sure if fans are related to it? Forgive my ignorance

Because of all of your help and guidance, my car has passed emission test today with flying colors, so here is a "BIG" thanks to all of you guys and the forum.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by faran
BTW, since last year AC does not work, not sure if fans are related to it? Forgive my ignorance
If the AC system is not working then when you turn it on the fans will not run. They will only run when thermo a (t-stat housing) closes (~196).

As suggested, this could be a thermostat issue. Can't go wrong with an OE stat from the dealer....from there either Stant or Gates (btw-stant makes the stats for gates).

Did the radiator come with a new cap? Either way a new one is only ~$6.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:13 AM
Almost A Senior Member

If the AC system is not working then when you turn it on the fans will not run. They will only run when thermo a (t-stat housing) closes (~196).
So it means, I should not worry about the fans with the AC, correct?

As suggested, this could be a thermostat issue. Can't go wrong with an OE stat from the dealer....from there either Stant or Gates (btw-stant makes the stats for gates).
Yes, I am planning to replace the T-stat with the Nippon one, because so many different temperatures and types are there for Gates and Stant. This is the cheapest one I found, if you have any other pointers or anything cheaper than this, do let me know?

Genuine Honda Thermostat Assembly 19301-PAA-306 : Amazon.com : Automotive Genuine Honda Thermostat Assembly 19301-PAA-306 : Amazon.com : Automotive

Did the radiator come with a new cap? Either way a new one is only ~$6.
Yes, it came with a brand new cap and it seems to me, Thermostat is the first start and then probably cap, what you think?

As mentioned earlier, no problem and issue while driving, issue only starts while idling or in a stop and go traffic. This is the picture I took today in the morning after a drive of nearly 1 hr:

Thanks a million again for all of your guidance, help and support.

Attached Thumbnails Coolant Overflow Tank-idle_temp.jpg  
Old 02-12-2013, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

If the AC system is not working then it will not "make the fans" run so no need to worry with that. It would be best to verify that they do cycle when the car gets warm. Be sure to bleed the air out of the system when you replace the stat.

You can do that when you replace the stat...Majestic Honda has it for less, don't know the difference (if any) in shipping costs.

PS- I'm guessing the pic is to prove it is a random thing.....as everything looks fine to me...idle, dead on.....temp, dead on.

Last edited by poorman212; 02-12-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:33 AM
Almost A Senior Member

If the AC system is not working then it will not "make the fans" run so no need to worry with that. It would be best to verify that they do cycle when the car gets warm. Be sure to bleed the air out of the system when you replace the stat.

You can do that when you replace the stat...Majestic Honda has it for less, don't know the difference (if any) in shipping costs.

PS- I'm guessing the pic is to prove it is a random thing.....as everything looks fine to me...idle, dead on.....temp, dead on.
Thanks a lot for your help, I am out of pocket and will get back to the car in few weeks.

At Majestic Honda, including S&H it's nearly $30.

It's ~$20 on amazon, trying to find something cheaper than that

Going to replace the t-stat first and will post the results and update.

Get this issue while idling or in stop and go traffic, also Coolant reservoir bottle is getting Completely Full and possibly overflowing too

Because of the above mentioned issue, posted the picture, once I will come back, will post the picture with temperature needle rising and moving towards 'H'.

Quick Reply: Coolant Overflow Tank