General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

03 accord ex 4 cyl 129K miles - replacement cat converter - seek advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 10:05 PM
Smile 03 accord ex 4 cyl 129K miles - replacement cat converter - seek advice

Hi, Just joined the forum and looking for some advice - purchased an 03 Honda EX 4 cyl manual in virginia . Within 100 miles of driving the yellow emission systems light came on - car checked at autozone Code P0420 was detected - returned car to dealer - mechanic checked and found catalytic converter was bad - car need to pass MD emissions - dealer offered to install aftermarket converter - link follows:
2003 2007 Honda Accord V4 2 4L Direct Fit Catalytic Converter | eBay

I start researching replacement cats and come across this page

http://www.mde.maryland.gov/assets/d...eplacement.pdf

seemingly developed by the state of maryland that talks about replacing the cat with a CARB compliant cat - to raise the levels of the various contaminants that will be removed from the exhaust.

Anyway, looking for advice on what cat to install so that MD vehicle emission standards will be met.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I really appreciate the knowledge bank that exists on this site.
Fred

Old 12-14-2014, 07:01 AM

All cats whether factory or aftermarket are mandated to have a 80k mile warranty. That being said the labor would typically not be covered. If you use an aftermarket one and it goes bad every two years expect to pay for the labor every two years. Honda cats for the Accords are extremely good and if you can afford it go with the factory original. It is illegal to sell used cats, for example you can't go to a salvage yard and expect to buy one. I am not sure about private sale, but either way you would not the the 80k mileage warranty mandated by the USEPA. So something to think about.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:31 AM

Hi, Good morning and thanks very much for getting back to me. To follow-up have you ever seen where an aftermarket converter failed a state emissions test? And one last question, do you have a good source for Honda cats? Thanks again. Really appreciate your help.
fred

Old 12-14-2014, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

This condition existed when you purchased the car. Someone had reset the PCM to remove the Check Engine Light, and when test cycle was complete, the Check Engine Light appeared. The seller should make good on this whether OEM or aftermarket.

The definitive test of converter is to measure O2 sensor voltage output on the aft of converter O2 sensor. It should be a smooth slowly changing voltage. If voltage alternates from low to high frequently, the cat is faulty.

I only have one experience w/ aftermarket catalytic converter. I installed an Eastern converter on 99 Subaru Forester for code P0420 which exhibited above symptoms. Fault was corrected for about 1 yr and same code returned.

good luck