General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Coolant splashing from radiator

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 06:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Coolant splashing from radiator

Why would coolant splash from the radiator with the cap off. When I start my car, coolant splashes and bubbles out of the radiator, and I have coolant loss over time and the radiator makes a gurgling noise when the car is shut off and overheats when stopped. I've also got a whining noise from under the timing cover, do you think this could be a water pump or is air getting in the system some how? I hope it isn't a head gasket, I have no milkshake stuff under valve cover or on oil cap and my exhaust is clear with no white smoke and did a compression test with all cylinders reading about 150 psi which is within specs according to all data. I'm going to get a head gasket tester to test for oil in te coolant where the blue liquid turns yellow. It's a f22b2 sohc 2.2

Old 08-25-2014, 09:16 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Bange
I'm going to get a head gasket tester to test for oil in te coolant where the blue liquid turns yellow.
Don't bother, they're useless. Get a loaner leakdown tester from Advance Auto for free. That will pinpoint any head gasket problems. Does the car miss for a few seconds after a cold (overnight) start?

Old 08-26-2014, 08:23 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Roader
Don't bother, they're useless. Get a loaner leakdown tester from Advance Auto for free. That will pinpoint any head gasket problems. Does the car miss for a few seconds after a cold (overnight) start?
Not that I can feel, it actually starts up strong and runs good on cold starts. Another thing I should add is that there is coolant stains all over under the hood, they're on the valve cover, radiator, battery, distributor, coolant hoses, etc.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:22 AM

Has the cooling system been filled and bled? Eric the Car Guy has a youtube video describing filling and bleeding a Honda, #zUpXgAJ1gjU. While bleeding the system, do the fans run when they're supposed to?

Since there are coolant stains all over, get a coolant system pressure tester loaner from an auto parts store and see if you can pinpoint an external leak.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:08 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Has the cooling system been filled and bled? Eric the Car Guy has a youtube video describing filling and bleeding a Honda, #zUpXgAJ1gjU. While bleeding the system, do the fans run when they're supposed to?

Since there are coolant stains all over, get a coolant system pressure tester loaner from an auto parts store and see if you can pinpoint an external leak.
Just pressure tested it, had a radiator hose not tightened all the way, was leaking from there. I tightened it and am pressure testing it right now to 16 psi. Do you know how much drop is allowed on that? How long should a good system be able to hold pressure? Also, would that leaking hose allow air in the system and cause the gurgling in the radiator?

Last edited by Bange; 08-26-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Roader has you going on the correct track, so follow his lead..

Keep us informed of your problem..

Wheelbrokerang

Old 08-26-2014, 01:29 PM

A loose hose clamp could create a leak, resulting in loss of coolant, and it could also not allow a vacuum to build as the engine cools, so coolant wouldn't get sucked back into the radiator as it's supposed to. Low coolant can cause gurgling. IDK exactly how much drop is allowed, but my gut tells me from 16psi it shouldn't drop below 10psi after ten minutes or so. The FSM is no help on specifics...it just says Inspect for coolant leaks and a drop in pressure.

If you're lucky you just fixed the problem: a loose hose clamp. Fill and bleed to see if the fix took.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies

A loose hose clamp could create a leak, resulting in loss of coolant, and it could also not allow a vacuum to build as the engine cools, so coolant wouldn't get sucked back into the radiator as it's supposed to. Low coolant can cause gurgling. IDK exactly how much drop is allowed, but my gut tells me from 16psi it shouldn't drop below 10psi after ten minutes or so. The FSM is no help on specifics...it just says Inspect for coolant leaks and a drop in pressure.

If you're lucky you just fixed the problem: a loose hose clamp. Fill and bleed to see if the fix took.
I left it for almost an hour with the 16 psi pressure and it didn't drop at all. I started it up again without the radiator cap and the coolant is still stagnant and erratic, I'm hoping it's not the head gasket and I'm still thinking it is possible that it is the water pump because I would think that's why the water isn't flowing and is splashing erratically. I just need a sure way to test for a head gasket. All the cylinders have good compression and I don't have typical symptoms of a blown head gasket besides the coolant loss. I'll have to keep doing research and tests. I've also read that the whining noise under the timing cover could be the water pump.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

I think you're way over thinking this situation. Button it all back up and drive the car.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:56 PM

X2. If your leak goes away and your car is no longer overheating, then all's good, right?

Quick Reply: Coolant splashing from radiator