General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Coolant Temperature Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 05:27 AM
Oliver5405
Unregistered
Default Coolant Temperature Sensor

I have a 1995 Honda Accord EX, 5 speed with the 4cyl VTEC engine. Can anyone tell me where the Coolant Temperature Sensor is? I think it is the one directly under the distributor, but I'm not sure. Also, can it be replaced without having to drain the coolant?
Thanks
Oliver

Old 11-16-2008, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Coolant Temperature Sensor

On the cylinder head under the distributor.

Manual says to fully warm engine, and check resistance. If more than 200-400 ohms replace sensor.

Leave cooling system closed, and air pressure may hold the coolant in w/ this small hole, as long as engine is completely cool. If you're ready to reinstall new sensor, coolant loss should be minimal. You could drain the radiator which may drain the cylinder head and prevent coolant loss while installing sensor.

good luck

Old 11-16-2008, 10:23 AM
Oliver5405
Unregistered

Thanks Texas Honda.
I changed the temperature sensor but that did not fix my problem. It still hesitates,skips after 1 or 2 miles then settles down after I rev up the engine for a few seconds or so.
However, I finally got it to give me a code! It is "43 Fuel Supply System defective or malfunctioning fuel supply system".
Now that I have this information, any suggestions on what to look for next?
Thanks
Oliver

Old 11-16-2008, 10:47 AM

Code 43 usually results from O2 Sensor fault. If it's beena long time since O2 sensor been replaced, it may be the problem.

First, pull the vacuum line to the Fuel Pressure Regulator and sniff. If you smell a strong gasoline smell, the diaphragm is ruptured allowing raw gas to be pulled into engine. If yes, this could be reason for code 43.

W/O an oscilloscope or other scanner it is hard to monitor O2 sensor for faults. Most simply replace if mileage is high.

good luckk

Old 11-16-2008, 10:55 AM
Oliver5405
Unregistered

Thanks for such a quick reply. I will check the regulator as you suggested.
The car has 50,100 miles on it. (My wife's car, she doesn't drive much, and we did buy it new)
No sensors have ever been changed until I did the coolant sensor today. Where is the Oxygen sensor, and how difficult is it to get to/replace?
Thanks
Oliver

Old 11-16-2008, 11:10 AM

You need a manual. Download the 94-97 Honda manual from Online Manuals, DIY forum.

O2 sensor is on exhaust manifold at front of engine underhood. They can be difficult to remove. It helps to warm the engine for perhaps 2-3 minutes and spray w/ PB Blaster or other rust penetrant. A good wrench or O2 sensor socket is necessary.

good luck

Old 11-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Did you replace the right temperature sensor?

1-wire sensor = dashboard temperature gauge sender. Not the one you want.

2-wire sensor = measurement for fuel injection system.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:59 AM

Hate to resurrect an old post, but I'm new to owning a honda. Ive figured ect sensor was the culprit of the hard starting issue. It wasn't even plugged in. Now the idle is never the same, it'll be perfect one day, then the next it'll be super low, or high. The Manual says to fully warm engine, and check resistance. If more than 200-400 ohms replace sensor. Mine reads 195.4 ohms. Is this to close to the high side to call good?

Old 10-29-2014, 01:45 PM

Close enough IMO.

Erratic idle may result from a number of faults. Suggest cleaning throttle plate, and bore around throttle plate w/ throttle body cleaner. Use an old tooth brush to reach.

good luck

Old 10-29-2014, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

First, it would be good to know what kind of car you're talking about. Now that the ECT sensor is plugged in, you might want to start over on the idle-adjustment.

Depending on what year / what engine you have, this might help.
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...e-speed-38734/

Quick Reply: Coolant Temperature Sensor