General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cooling fan stays on

Old 02-15-2007, 02:26 PM
shermanreed
Unregistered
Default Cooling fan stays on

When I turn my 95 Honda Accord LX off, the cooling fan stays on. It will eventually drain the battery down, so I have been disconnecting a battery. What should I check for the problem. BTW, the fan comes on as soon as the battery cable is connected.

Thanks

Old 02-15-2007, 02:51 PM
Default RE: Cooling fan stays on

it could be your temp sensor.... or radiator fan relay, here's the test procedures for both and component locations

[IMG]local://upfiles/3079/C3ECCB3483DD44E2A8DE54C6F8776599.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-15-2007, 03:26 PM
shermanreed
Unregistered

Please forgive my lack of knowledge - how do I test for continuity? I am not sure once I pull the relay switch from the fuse box, what I am to do next. If I pull the temp sensors and put them in water and heat it up - what do I look for?

Old 02-15-2007, 03:31 PM

continuity is a fancy way to say connection, get a voltmeter or a 9V battery and a small LED or bulb with two wires coming off it, with a voltmeter turn it to ohm's (that funky upside down horseshoe) and place one connnector on one side and one on the other, see if the needle jumps, if so then you have a connection, the cheap radioshack way (9v/bulb) take a piece of wire, connect one terminal of the battery to a post on the relay, connect the other terminal to one side of the bulb, then touch the other unconnected end of the bulb to the connector you want to test for a connection, the light comes on you've got continuity, light stays off, you don't....

Just spend $10.00 or so and buy a voltmeter, they're always good to have around... post a picture of the dial on it and I'll even show you exactly what settings to use

Old 02-15-2007, 04:16 PM
shermanreed
Unregistered

I actually have two - I use them to test for electrical currents in my home when I am hanging new light fixtures. They have lots of settings - I only use one. I think I can manage to see if there is continuity now that you have explained it. If not, I'll request your help. Thanks, BTW.

Still not sure how to test for continuity on the temp sensor when it is in heated water. Does the heated water give it a charge? I realize that sounds dumb.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Your meter's continuity-test setting probably has a beeper. Touch the leads together & make it beep...

At room temperature the fan switch is supposed to be open. Like a switch that's turned 'OFF'. When it's hot (185 F?) it's supposed toswitch 'ON'. It sounds like yours is stuck ON all the time.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:43 PM

when testing those (temp sensors) they should read in the off position (no continuity) when at or below room temperature, if they don't they're bad

Old 02-16-2007, 04:21 PM
muibu
Unregistered

I also have a 95 Accord LX and came upon this same problem yesterday, also. It kept running after ignition off, so I just pulled the fuse. But after a little while, when I put the fuse back on, it stays off. But if I start the car again, after cold engine, nothing happens and when I quickly turn engine off, then the fan kicks in.

I read deserthonda's diy and he saids it might be the fan timer unit. I don't have voltmeter, but when I pulled out the fan relay (in engine fuse panel), then it would stop. I swapped with same relay next to it and same thing. If I put it back right away, then it'll continue spinning. But if I leave off the fuse for a while (15 minutes or so) and put it back in, then nothing happens.

I'm to the point that I'm sick and tired of one thing happening after another and wish I have money to buy a new car. It's fairly cold up here and I only drive 10 miles to work and back so I'm just leaving the fuse off for now and resigned to give up on my POS car.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:40 PM

chances are that it's a temp sensor sending a bad signal then, either get a multi-meter or something to test continuity with and check them (the right way to do things) or start buying parts, buy a new temp sensor and replace it and see if that works (the expensive way)

Old 02-16-2007, 10:31 PM
shermanreed
Unregistered

Are there two temp sensors?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cooling fan stays on