General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cooling Fans doesn't turn on Honda Accord 95

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Default Cooling Fans doesn't turn on Honda Accord 95

I have a Honda Accord 95 LX. Days ago I realize that the cooling fan isn't turning on when the car is hot and after turn it off. When I turn on the AC, its fan works well but the heat or radiator fan never turn on. When AC is turn off and car is hot, none of the fans turn on to cool down the system. I already check all fuses and they are well. Something I saw is that weeks ago my temperature gauge indicator on the dashboard, sometimes when all down to the cool region when the car was on and not running. Finally, it stop working at all. Does the temperature gauge need to reach a certain region to turn on the cooling fan system? I know that maybe if the temperature gauge isn't working is due to thermostat problems. Will replacing the thermostat resolve this problem and how do I know that the thermostat is not working?

Old 12-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Do both fans turn on when you turn on the a/c?

Old 12-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Different circuts here. Coolant is full, correct?

The gauge is driven by a single pole switch. The rad fan is drive by a two pin-green connector-switch. So I'm going with two different issues.

If I read this correct (going with 4 cyl-6 will be different) the right/pass side fan is not coming on, even when the ac is on. If so, we need to find out why. Try powing the fan motor with power,,,does it work. Then there are relays and fuses.

Do you have a manual to help with the procedure for testing? Might also read thru the link below for help.

"something, something" techauto.awardspace.com/overheating.html
Active links are not permitted but I think you get the idea.

The gauge is something else but right now I think the more important thing is the fan

EDIT: PA-Honda1pr-way too slow in typing, watching football at the same time. Didn't see PA's till I submitted.

Last edited by poorman212; 12-05-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Your radiator fan motor may be dead. There is a thermo-switch on the thermostat housing, unplug the electrical connector on that switch and use a small paper clip or wire to jump the connector. Turn the ignition to on, if the motor doesn't work, it probably is the motor.

For a 100% test of the radiator fan motor, connect battery power to the fan; however, since the radiator fan connector is under the car and the lower splash cover needs to be removed, this would not be a quick procedure.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:34 PM

No, only the AC fan turn on

Old 12-06-2010, 07:47 PM

It is a Honda Accord LX 4 cyl poorman212 and yes, the coolant is full. I will try to connect the fan directly to the battery to see if its working. Although, I know that when the car is hot, both fans turn on to cool down the system and neither of them is working when the car is hot. The AC fan (the one near the conductor side) is working because y turn on the AC to prove it. Two years ago, the fan of the radiator (the one near the passenger side) stop working and when the car got hot, only the AC one was working. This is why I think that it should be something else.

I will try to do the fan directly to the battery to prove if it is working and post the results. Thanks for helping me!!!

Old 12-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Both turn on when the car is hot, but ign is off, then skip the direct power. Power to the motor and it runs,we-you need to find out why power isn't making it there. Please confirm that at some point both fans do run.

First on the list is the switch. If temp goes up, ac off, there is a two pin, green connector, to a switch under~around the dist~t-stat housing(?its late) that "commands" the fans to come on. Test it-my friend Redbull-1 (hope you don't mid me saying that?) was trying to get you there as well.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

If you have a volt meter, unplug the fan that is not working when the a/c is turned on. Start the car and turn on the a/c. Test for voltage across the connector leading to the fan. See if you have 12V.