General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

cranks - tries to start - coughs and sputters

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 07:04 PM
Default cranks - tries to start - coughs and sputters

4 cylinder V-tech. Just started one morning, she cranks and tries to start but won't. When she cranks it sounds different, almost like there is no compression. I can get her to start by fluttering the accelerator pedal. When she does start,she misfires on cylinders (I get the P codes, on different cylinders) for about 1 minutes thatm starts to run smooth. During that oneminute I will sometimes get a knock, almost like a diesel engine running. New plugs, wires, cap, rotor and battery.

Brought to local garage: First diagnosis was no compression in any cylinder, thought it was the V-Tech system, but that was later eliminated as the cause of the issue. Timing belt inspected along with time timing marks, timing is okay. Fuel pressure inspected andwas okay. Fuel injection cleaning. After the fuel injection cleaning it seems like it fixed the problem, but it didn't. Second fuel injection cleaning done, and second time it wasthought that it fixed the probelm, but it didn't.

Once it starts and begins to run smooth I can start and stop the engine, as long as it doesn't sit too long( more than 2 hours. The longer it sits, the harder it is to start.

Any ideas?

Old 10-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Default RE: cranks - tries to start - coughs and sputters

first thing i would do is change the main fuel relay, these are a pain, i had the same problem and the relay fixed it, i also found out that it can cause the transmission to go crazy at least on the 92 because there is a voltage that comes from the relay to the transmission controller. these are inexpensive , dealer says they sell about 8 a month. may not fix it but if you are not having trouble with it you will later.
Frank Allen

Old 10-26-2008, 01:12 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Have you visually checked the spark yet? If you've got good fuel flow, spark would be the next place to look. since you replaced pretty much everything in the ignition system already, the coil and ignitor are my next suspects.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:31 PM

i would find a new mechanic. How can you think there is no compression and then change your mind? a compression test should show that right away, and be pretty foolproof.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:46 PM

All signs lead up to the main relay... Located under the steering column close to the OBDII.

Check it, You should be able to take the relay apart, check to see if anything looks worn or burned out.pretty easy to tell.
I drove around for 2 days until my new one came in for my car by tapping it every time before i start my car.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:33 PM

Checked fuel relay that was okay.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:37 PM

When the car cranked and wouldn't start there was no compression. when the car started, there was compression. and yes, we agree, how does that happen?
A leak down test was performed today, it looks liek the piston rings are worn. When it gets cold, there is enough gap to prevent compression, and the car will not start. When the tempurature outside increases, the gap gets small enough to allow for compression. Doesthat make sense?

Old 11-04-2008, 08:38 PM

Does anyone have experience with doing and engine swap with an engine from a auto salvage yard? If the rings are gone, and I want to keep the car, it looks like this is my cheapest option.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:36 PM

Yeah i got a 4g63 for my gst from a salvage yard and the only thing needed to be change was the ecu and t/b. Pretty good deal.

Some places have it in the car so you can sort of test it.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:07 AM

first off input the year and model 4 cyl v-tec is not enough info

secondly i would most definatelly get a second opinion .......In all my years working on Hondas i have never heard of this ......rings worn so bad that does not start the car when cold

If the rings are that worn that bad that it won't start the car, when car runs ,you should be using oil and should see some smoke coming from tail pipe

try something.... when car does not start suppossely due to no compression, due to worn rings
do a compression test, write the readings down then

, put some oil in the cylinders , recheck the compression , if the numbers go up by a lot could be worn rings

another possibility is, what we call cylinder wash,, too much gas in cylinders causing little to no compression
before thinking od replacing the engine i would have a second opinion by a shop that specializes on Hondas ( independent or the dealer )

I have seen tw sensors cause the same issue that you are experiencing ..
my advice is to get a second opinion ......

Quick Reply: cranks - tries to start - coughs and sputters