General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crankshaft oil seal tips/tricks/advice needed (92 Accord)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 06:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Question Crankshaft oil seal tips/tricks/advice needed (92 Accord)

Just wondering if there's any tricks or shortcuts that will help me replace the crankshaft oil seal on my son's 92 Accord EX w/automatic transmission?

I was quoted 1.3 hours labor for the cam seal, but did it myself in less than an hour pretty easily. I am a 300# heavy equipment mechanic with fat hands, so this small engine stuff is a bit cramped up for me, lol. The crank seal quote was nearly 7 hours so anything that will help me with that time is greatly appreciated.

This weekend I replaced the passenger side axle shaft assembly, right outer tir rod end, and the camshaft seal, but it looks like the oil leak was more from the crankshaft, than the cam seal...Not to mention I found an exhaust leak that's not repairable without replacing everything, worn front brake pads, swaybar bushings crumbling, and a bad right upper ball joint...can't believe it's in this bad of shape with only 132,000 miles..

Last edited by ysbarney; 10-14-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

I moved your thread from the DIY section to the General Tech Help section. Please read the forum rules and do not post help questions in the DIY section.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...l-about-26638/

Old 10-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Red face

Originally Posted by redbull-1
I moved your thread from the DIY section to the General Tech Help section. Please read the forum rules and do not post help questions in the DIY section.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...l-about-26638/
Actually...I did. Then still put it in the wrong forum, lol. Sorry.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Well, age (92) as well as miles plays into things

Anyway, I'm sure you have figured out that to get to the crank seal you are going to have to remove the timing belts. So you might as well plan on replacing those, inspect the idlers, replace the wp, inspect the oil pump o-ring/seal, balance shaft seal - can't remember if that gen had the "retainer" added - don't think so?

From there, being a HD guy I bet you either have a seal driver set or a socket or two of the right size to install them.

Highly suggest you download the shop manual for this car.....spec's, how far to seat, ect.

PS- the crank bolt is a PIA - you might bring your 1 inch impact home it will cut thru it without any issues.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply. I have access to Mitchell On Demand software, which is what a lot of shops actually use for labor rates and the actual repair flow sheets, but like any books or online "official" info, there's usually some tips and/or tricks that will save time and effort...not to mention the books and manuals are not always 100% right.

Definitely appreciate the advice though.

There is a possible bright side to this though. My son informed me that the oil "puddle" the car was leaving before I replaced the cam seal, has shrunk down to just a few drops when it sists, so either the cam seal was the bigger of the two leaks, or .................. it's almost out of oil.

Last edited by ysbarney; 10-15-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Yea, I know how it goes with kids and asking questions over the phone/net

If you get a chance to inspect it yourself and need any info, let us know.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Thumbs up

Will do. Thanks again.