General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Crankshaft Pulley Bolt..... Need help

Old 03-23-2008, 12:46 AM
DeVoe41
Unregistered
Default Crankshaft Pulley Bolt..... Need help

I need some help trying to get the crankshaft pulley bolt off of an 01 Accord 2.3.

Using a Strap wrench has not helped, I don't know if I can use an impact as I have the balance shaft secured with an allen wrench. I am looking for any helpfull hints or tips to get this thing off with out screwing anything up. I'm not use to Honda's so I'm in need of any advice. I don't care if it's yes stupid use an impact, or try this out. I just need any info I can get.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:47 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt..... Need help

You need the tool at the bottom

http://www.tasauto.com/Product/Brows...;h=111&p=1

Autozone, Advance would be able to get it for you as well as your dealer.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:26 AM

If you car is a manual transmission just put it in 5th gear, have someone hold the brakes on, then use a breaker bar and a cheater pipe. Works just fine if you don't have a good impact. Not sure you could do this on an auto trans without damaging something.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:44 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You can hold the pulley with a chain (not strap) wrench and then use a breaker bar like oma said. Some people will disagree with me and say that the strap wrench will chew up your pulley, which is possible. I used a strap wrench that sat on the edges of the pulley, not on the ridges where the belt goes....

Your car is fairly new so an impact might work, but most people need to use an impact capable of 550+ ft. lbs. of torque.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If you stuck a rod into the balance shaft to hold in position, remove before attempting to break the crankshaft bolt. It may shear and leave a piece of the rod stuck in the balance shaft. Rod through the balance shaft cannot restrain the engine since it's driven by a cogged balance shaft drive belt.

An impact wrench is your best bet, but may not work either. A good Ingersol Rand, plenty of air pressure/volume, a short hose, w/ only the impact socket on the impact will give best chance.

Save yourself a lot of money and buy a manual. Trying to do a timing belt job w/o a manual is asking for problems.

This is a fairly challenging job, and the crankshaft pulley bolt is the toughest part. It has defeated many.

good luck

Old 03-24-2008, 08:05 AM

ORIGINAL: BlkCurrantKord

You need the tool at the bottom

http://www.tasauto.com/Product/Brows...;h=111&p=1

Autozone, Advance would be able to get it for you as well as your dealer.
Or do what I did. Save yourself the time waiting for delivery, the cost for the part that you may never use again, and the skinned knuckles trying to get leverage under your car. Instead, take your car to a local gas station where the mechanic has one in his toolbox, let him put it up on the hoist and free it up. Simply nudge it tight for the ride home, pay $20 for the 15 min work,and you're good to go!

--Jeff