General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control in a 01 Accord sedan

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 04:09 PM
DrBones
Unregistered
Default Cruise Control in a 01 Accord sedan

So here's the deal:

Car: 2001 Accord LX vtec 4door manual transmission 110,000 miles, gold.

Problem: Intermittent cruise control function and incorrect switch function (see below)

At the desired speed, when I attempt to set the cruise control 1 of 3 things happens:
1. it works
2. it doesn't work
3. the set button doesn't set the speed, but the cancel button does

When the cruise control is on it either:
1. works normally
2. when I press cancel, the car increases speed.

My thoughts:
1. bad "clock spring"-I've discovered that the accord doesn't use a traditional clock spring, but a reel device that release cable as you turn the wheel from neutral. I've read people have had problems with their cruise control when they have a bad/intermittent cable.
2. the cruise control is possessed.

I've checked the fuses, but what else can I check, and does anyone know how to test the "clock spring" device?

Any thoughts/help?

Thanks for in advance for your help!

Dr.Bones

Old 08-13-2006, 04:35 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Cruise Control in a 01 Accord sedan

sounds like you might have an issue with the set/resume/cancel switch ....

Old 08-13-2006, 04:55 PM
DrBones
Unregistered

Thanks for your reply deserthonda!

I thought that the switch could be bad, so I took the switch off to see if I could clean it. The switch is well sealed and based on how it is constructed seams unlikely that the switch would "cross circuit". My Dad thinks it's the "clockspring" mechanism since the buttons are acting funny. Since there is a cable mechanism perhaps there is an issue there. I'm hesitant to bring it into the dealer to work on, I'm a grad student and don't want to shell out hundreds of dollars in diagnositic work. On the other hand, I'll be driving 2-3k miles/month over the next 7 months so cruise would really be helpful!

Old 08-13-2006, 05:32 PM

i agree with desert.. let us know if you find the solution

Old 08-13-2006, 08:13 PM

you would have to chk continuity within the switch,,
another way is to tesat the inputs and outputs at the main control unit .. but i would avice to have a shop take a lok at this 1

Old 01-08-2008, 03:31 PM
DrBones
Unregistered

So,

I posted this problem back in August 2006. The cruise control worked most of the time except in very wet weather, now my cruise control is completely dead. I did replace the cruise control switch back in september 06. This time I replaced the accuator (used $50)and vacuum lines ($8)and hit the road to test it out.

Voila, the cruise works! And then it doesn't work, Then it works again, except the cancel button sets and accels and the set button doesn't work and the accel button is indifferent. Sometimes all the buttons work perfectly fine.I checked the connectors at the accuator, they are clean and dry.

What should I do next? Test the reel mechanism in the steering wheel? Have the dealer diagnose it? Is there computer module that I need to look at?Any ideas would be helpful.

The car now has 135K on it and I do really use the cruise to avoid excessive speeding.

Thanks!

Eoin

Old 01-08-2008, 06:24 PM

it you replaced the cruise control switch with a new honda part, then i'd assume it's still good. you can confirm it's good by testing continuity of it.

i'd also test the cable reel. when disconnecting the lower cable reel connector you have to be careful which wire you touch since the air bag is on that connector as well.

if you test the cable reel and it's fine the only other thing is the cruise control unit(assuming the wiring is fine and the car was never wrecked)

do you have access to a digital multimeter to do the tests?

Old 01-08-2008, 10:08 PM
DrBones
Unregistered

HI HondatechAV6,

I do have a multi-meter, but I'm really only proficient at using it to test voltage, I'm not afraid to dig around if you know where I can find a good tutorial at testing continuity/resistance.

Do you think the cable reel could be the problem? How dangerous is it to take off the airbag and test the reel?

Thanks!

DrBones

Old 01-09-2008, 07:18 PM

it's not dangerous at all assuming you follow precautions/instructions.

what kind of meter is it?(brand/model)

Old 01-10-2008, 11:03 AM
DrBones
Unregistered

I have two digitial multimeters, one from Sears (a christmas gift) and an older Radio Shack model. Both have the same functions.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control in a 01 Accord sedan