General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control fuse

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 06:08 PM
Default Cruise Control fuse

On my 2004 Accord (standard transmission), my cruise button won't engage, so I'm looking for fuses (I know where the fuse boxes are, but can't find one listed "cruise control." There is one called "ACC." It checks OK. Is "ACC" the fuse for cruise control? Also, if the fuse is OK, what else should I check? When I depress the button, the green "cruise" light lights, but goes off as soon as I let up on the button. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

There are a lot of items that can cause the cruise to turn off.

The easiest test is to drive the car on a highway. Hold down the horn and see if the CC will set. If it does, then the cable reel may need replaced.

The next easiest place to look is the clutch pedal switch.

If the switch is stuck on, then you can start your car, but the CC will think you are pressing the clutch pedal and shut off. That switch is one of possibly two the clutch pedal.

Both switches are an open/closed switch. If you have a volt meter use the resistance or continuity setting. See if the switch changes between open/closed when you press/release the switch. I can't remember if open = clutch pushed in or vise versa.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:05 PM
Default Cruise

Thanks for your quick response! I'm going to try the horn approach later today. Meantime, where can I find the clutch switches--or is this something I need to take to the dealer. I'm a dyi'er so I'll tackle anything, but I haven't worked on cars since my teens, when all you needed was a pair of pliers and a screwdriver (and sometimes a hammer).

Old 08-21-2010, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

The clutch "switch" is located under the dash, follow the clutch pedal "lever" up and there you will find the switch. Much like a brakelight switch. One more thing to check, there should be a plastic bumper the switch makes contact with, sometime they break and there is nothing to close the switch. Go to Majestic Honda and look up your model and look under "pedal". #9 in the diag is the switch and #10 is the plastic bumper.
From there you can test.

Last edited by poorman212; 08-21-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Unhappy 2004 Accord 4 cyl

I have a similar experience. There are two cruise control buttons. One is to turn the system "on", thus lighting on the dash a "CRUISE CONTROL". The other button sets the speed. My "on/off" button is not staying depressed. When I push it, the dash light illuminates but as soon as I release my finger, it goes back off. Thus the cruise system is not active, power on, to even attempt to set the speed. I can't find a dedicated fuse for the cruise, but I don't think it would light up at all if it was a fuse. Coincidentally, and maybe not, the door locks stopped working too. Any ideas?

Old 06-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Default I am having the same problem

I have a 2005 Honda Accord and my cruise control won't engage. It lights when I press the button but goes out when I release it. If I hold it in I can hit the set button and the cruise control works just fine but I would have to keep my finger on the engage button continuously :-) Any ideas what this could be and if this is a diy fix or require the dealer?

Honda Accord 2005 LX automatic 6 cyl.

Last edited by gitman7; 06-13-2011 at 07:19 PM. Reason: user sig info
Old 06-13-2011, 07:32 PM
Default Going to check the brake light switch

I found elsewhere on the web that it could be the brake light switch. I'm going to check that as soon as this thunderstorm is over :-)

Old 06-14-2011, 07:21 AM

My dealer said he might have to r & r the air bag to get at the problem, and I was not willing to spend that kind of money when a broken off toothpick stuck into the switch keeps it on (call me a skinflint). But I would replace a switch or fuse if I knew which and where, so I hope the person who discovers the answer posts it here. Thanks.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:49 AM

I believe mine is just a faulty switch unit. I found that the controls for the cruise is a single unit that can be removed with 2 screws from the backside of the steering wheel. I found the unit for less than $30. I haven't replaced it yet (on order) but I feel confident it will be the fix. Fuses and brake switches aren't my issue because I can "force" the cruise to work as it should it I simple tape the main cruise on-off button down. Then I can engage and set the speed and disengage with the brake. I'll post when I install the new unit.
2004 Honda Accord 4 cyl LX

Old 06-21-2011, 08:40 AM
Cool Cruise Control Fuse

I'm having a similar problem with a 2001 2.3l Accord Coupe that my son just purchased. The cruise control on/off switch works and stays lit but there is no light on the control panel. My questions are:
When is the light suposed to be lit on the control panel? Is it only on went the cruise control is engauged? I think yes.
Is there a step by step to troubleshoot?
Can anyone direct me to an online manual for this car?
The fuse has been removed for the daytime running lights, I know how much interconnection Honda electrical systems have might this have something to do with it?

Quick Reply: Cruise Control fuse