General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 07:24 AM
Default Cruise Control Intermittent

2004 Accord 4cyl, Only see this problem in warmer (+80 degree) weather, I drive 100 miles of interstate daily at 75-80 MPH, Cruise control will cancel frequently on its own, if it does, I cannot resume. When it does cancel I need to re-set from the beginning. If I cancel normally or brake, I can resume fine. Have never seen the problem in cooler weather.

Last edited by jhelmick; 06-17-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

I've moved this to General Tech as it is way beyond the New Member area type of question.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

mine kind of does something a bit similar. when you lose the cruise on the fwy, try pulling up on the brake pedal with your left foot, just very slightly. then hit resume or set again and see what happens. if it works a few times like that...probably got a bad brake pedal combo switch.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:51 PM

Thought about that, and tried today but made no difference. Thanks for the suggestion tho

Old 06-19-2013, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Just me but since you loose the resume....I'm would go somewhere else.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Has any work been done on the car recently? The fact you loose resume tells me the control is either loosing ground or power....why, well that is going to be the fun.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:55 PM

No work done on anything that I know of, this is so inconsistent and intermittent it’s really hard to pin point. I have had days it will shut off as fast as I turn it on several times in a row, but 5 minutes later it will work fine. The main light for the Cruise always stays illuminated, it is only the light that comes on when you set the cruise that goes off when the cruise cancels, and as I mentioned before, I can’t resume if it cancels, I have to reset. I have tried turning the main switch on and off several times to see if it could be a bad connection, I have moved the brake pedal around to try and make it fail, tapped on steering wheel in the cruise button area thinking maybe a poor connection....No luck yet, Some day I might get lucky I hope. At one time thought maybe a vacuum leak, but would happen with more consistency I would think. Really acts like an electrical connection issue, but I dont see it at slower speeds, but then again I dont do much driving with cruise at less then 75 or 80 typically

Old 06-22-2013, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Out on a limb here.

Next time it is acting up - not setting - try honking the horn and setting the cruise at the same time.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:32 PM

i have the exact same issue (almost) on my 2004 Honda Accord, when the outside temperature is warm i cannot use the cruise control as it will cancel the cruise within seconds, i can, however, re-resume cruise, however it will cancel off again almost immediately.

in cool weather (we just took a trip to Portland OR) there are no problems, but as soon as we got back to AZ -- no more cruise ability.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:25 AM

I have a 2005 coupe and it does similar. It will work fine for a while and then cut out,the main cruise light stays on. After it happens Sometimes pressing the set button doesn't even put the light on the dash, the main light always stays on.
I've tried it holding down the horn and messing with the brake petal with no luck.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Intermittent