General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

CV Joint Popped out of tranny

Old 03-01-2007, 08:49 PM
willyg
Unregistered
Default CV Joint Popped out of tranny

I have a 95 accord, 4cyl with manual transmission. I replaced the passenger side cv joint, bought at a national auto chain. Three days later im driving it and it makes a noise and quits pulling. I look under the car and see oil dripping from where the shaft goes into the transmission. I tow the car home and notice the cv joint had popped out of the transmission.
Could have the auto parts store sold me the wrong cv joint, or has anyone experienced this problem?
What could i look at that might cause this to happen.

I checked with the auto part store and they double checked the numbers and they say it was the correct part number.

Appreciate any help

Old 03-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: CV Joint Popped out of tranny

make sure the circlip is on the end of the joint shaft, and when installing it make sure you feel the clip latch into its groove in the differential, also the joint seats all the way in against the axle seal.
You might want to check the seal to be sure it wasn't damaged when the joint popped out.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:06 AM
willyg
Unregistered
Default RE: CV Joint Popped out of tranny

Thanks for the reply

I did make sure of the circlip and also lighlty tapped it into place with a rubber mallet. I will have to keep an eye out for oil from the seal since ive already replace the cv joint.
I will put a few more miles on it and see if it happens again.