General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder Position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 05:32 PM
wiz929
Unregistered
Default Cylinder Position sensor

Hey how you guys doing?
Well my girlfriend check engine light came on and i took it to autozone turns out its the Cylinder Position sensor connection is lose. By any chance does anyone know where it is located on a 2000 Honda accord 4 cyl vtec?

Old 09-20-2007, 07:21 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Cylinder Position sensor

Its in the distributor and you may end up replacing the whole distributor cuz I don't think its something you can just remove.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Following is suggested repair.

Disconnect the distributor connector, and check the sensor for resistance. You will need a manual to know which pins to check and for the resistance spec for your vehicle, but it's usually < 1000 ohms for a functional unit. It could be a loose connection or damaged wiring, but a bad sensor is more likely. No replacement sensor is available.

If sensor is defective, buy a new ($$$), aftermarket ($$)or used ($)replacement distributor and replace unit. Check ebay for aftermarket and used units. Check car-part.com for used units near your location.

good luck

Old 09-20-2007, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

I was gonna check to make sure, but I think in 2000 that sensor is located down at the crank pulley, combined with the CKF sensor.

If you're checking for loose connections, it won't hurt to check both places. Look for a wire coming up along the back side of the lower timing cover, there's probably a plug located somewhere around the brake master cylinder.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:46 PM

I think JimBlake could be right here. i swear I remember reading something in my Haynes about that sensor being located down at the crank pulley on the 2000-2002 models. I am at work now, i'll check once i get home. I know Haynes is not Helm, but I think they even showed a picture of it.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:13 PM

Ah....mine's a 98 and its in the dizzy. I went through some BS with it last summer.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:48 PM

it is located in the dizzy.....
try something first.. make sure all the connections are properly connected and tight, including plug wires , also, believe it or not,, chk to see if the coil shield is installed and installed properly,there is a service news about this , that if shield is missing or not in a proper position it will kick the cyp code p1381 p-1382....then clear the code and test drive it,, if code comes back, you need to chk the cyp sensor at distr,,
unplug the 4 wire connector at dizzy, ( key off ) if you look at the connector with the nipple up, you need to chk resistance ( using an ohmmeter ) between the 2 terminals farthest to the right ,, it should be between 800-1500 ohms. ,, If not, replace the distributor housing..
if it is ok,,,,, chk for continuity to ground between each terminal ( same ones ) and body ground .If there is continuity replace the distributor .
if no continuity then we have to chk at the ecu connector .
So,, do these tests and let us know ..

Old 09-21-2007, 08:59 AM

BlkCurrantKord was right from the start.
dh got on here and beat me to the punch. With better info I might add. I was going to confirm it is in the distributor and a non replaceable part. Try the tests dh posted & let us know how it goes.

JimBlake: I think it is actually the TDC sensor that is combined with the CKP sensor that you are referring to.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:43 AM

Sweet...

Let me tell ya, diagnosing that thing was a PITA last year

Old 09-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, it's the TDC & CKF combined down at the crank pulley. That's whatI get for trying to remember instead of looking it up.

Quick Reply: Cylinder Position sensor