General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Dashboard Gages Not Working

Old 07-31-2005, 07:06 PM
pos85tempo
Unregistered
Default Dashboard Gages Not Working

2001 2 Dr EX V6 with 65K.

Was driving the other day and all my gages (tachometer, speedometer, fuel and engine temp) started flickering. Would peg out then all would stop working and rest on zero as if the engine were off. This would go on for 5 or 10 minutes then stop and everything would go back to normal for 5 or 10 minutes. Drove the next day and nothing went wrong at all. Drove the following day and all my gages are dead and do not work at all. Also, my digital odometer (trip and overall mileage) both register all 8's.

Before I take it in to get looked at was wondering if I get someone's thoughts on what could be the issue??

Old 07-31-2005, 08:59 PM
Default RE: Dashboard Gages Not Working

an open ground wire

Old 08-01-2005, 10:28 AM
pos85tempo
Unregistered

Thanks! Do you happend to know if that particular ground is secured a specific location? Other than just starting to look around is there any certain place that would be a better starting place to look for a loose wire? I'm assuming its just a wire disconnected from a screw head somewhere in the engine compartment. Does that sound about right?

Old 08-01-2005, 10:25 PM

yes I'll have to look it up for you, also first check the dashboard gauges connector to make sure its plugged in tight and secure

Old 08-02-2005, 04:48 PM
pos85tempo
Unregistered

Thanks, I'll check that out this evening after work.

Old 08-03-2005, 01:38 PM
pos85tempo
Unregistered

Got under the dash last night. While I didn't know which connection was for the dash, I checked all the ones I could see and get a hold of. Everything looked good as far as I could tell.

Old 08-10-2005, 10:31 AM
pos85tempo
Unregistered

Turns out it is the Multiplex Control Unit for the Instrument Panel. The dimmer switch overheats and leades to the instrument panel gages going all screwy. Honda has a recall for it from 2004 prior to my purchase of the vehicle and I guess it never was fixed.

Old 08-10-2005, 10:40 AM

So they fixed it for free I hope. I'm glad you found out what the problem was

Old 08-07-2006, 05:02 AM
pumpkin0720
Unregistered

I just bought a 2002 EX. On the way home, the needles on all the gages maxed out and then back to zero. The check enging light came on, and then went off. The car runs fine. The previous owner explained that she had it checked and the shop told her it is a sensor that is getting sunlight and it is a $800 repair.
What the Hell?
I first thought it was a grounding problem, but it does seem to happen the same time of day, when the sun is coming from the west.
Any thoughts?

Old 08-08-2006, 08:11 PM

I have a 1995 Honda Accord EX and am having similar problems but with mine included with the speedometer going crazy and the odometer not working at the same time, the engine light will come on and the "D4" will blink. Wondering if it is the alternator?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dashboard Gages Not Working