General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Desperate For Help with RF Caliper

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 05:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Desperate For Help with RF Caliper

It was been awhile since I posted, been busy with moving to a new house.

For the last three weeks, my '03 Accord has had a sticking RF caliper, even after replacing both fronts.

It first started out as both front calipers sticking AFTER replacing the factory originals (at 114,000 miles).

At the same time, I replaced the front rotors and pads again, thinking they may be worn unevenly due to the sticking caliper(s).

Today, I did a warranty exchange and replaced the front calipers again. The driver's side is fixed, but the passenger side continues to stick -- no change at all.

When moving, all I hear is the loud squeaking from the passenger side.

When I brake, naturally, it mostly goes away.

Here are the links for the calipers I used from Advance Auto Parts:

Fenco Unloaded Caliper with Bracket SLC9856: Get the best Brake Caliper - Front at Advance Auto Parts

Fenco Unloaded Caliper with Bracket SLC9857: Purchase the best Brake Caliper - Front at Advance Auto Parts

Any help is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance. This is truly frustrating.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:44 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Make sure the shims are in place and everything is lubed correctly, aside from that , if you are still having issues,, replace the front brake hoses,,do both sides at the same time,,sounds like your hose has collapsed from the inside, good luck and keep us posted.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I will take it all apart again tomorrow to lube. However, I don't know if it would be the brake hose because it was determined the LF caliper was bad to start with; the RF old caliper didn't make any noise until it was replaced.

Thoughts?

Old 10-20-2014, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

I'm easy to confuse so forgive me.

A sticking claiper will not make a "noise".

To check the slide pins, remove the lower bolt from the caliper braket. Tilt the caliper up, might have to remove the bolts that hold the hose to the knuckle, and pop the pads out. Tilt the caliper down and install the lower bolt.

Does the caliper slide in and out on the pins without sticking?

Last edited by poorman212; 10-21-2014 at 06:16 PM. Reason: typo :)
Old 10-20-2014, 06:19 PM

If the car stops smooth and straight then it is the lack of the anti squeal compound on the shims not the calipers or the pads. That is assuming that you have just replaced the caliper including the caliper frame.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies

All of you were correct in your assessments. However, in my case, it turns out I didn't push the pads down all the way into the caliper. So, it was rubbing.

It is correct (and should have been logical to me) that a sticking caliper will not make noise.

Turtle: While I was at it, I went ahead and used anti-squeal compound. Wasn't making noise, but I did it anyways.

Thank you all for your help.

Next issue: The backlight on my radio/climate control is out. Common problem? Is there a thread on here that gives a step-by-step on how to fix this?

Old 10-22-2014, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

I think there is a resistor on the circuit board that you have to replace. I remember seeing a youtube video on the repair.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:49 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I really can't find anything thorough. Can anyone give me any tips on this? What would I search on YouTube?

Old 10-25-2014, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Grand Rapids
I really can't find anything thorough. Can anyone give me any tips on this? What would I search on YouTube?
Using google I typed in "2003 Accord radio light" and got serveral video's, ect on the subject.....I didn't go any further by watching or reading them.