General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1994 transmission problems...any help please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 10:58 PM
kaotiklivin4eva
Unregistered
Default 1994 transmission problems...any help please!

hey Im new to the forum and i have a question hoping i can get any kind of help here. i bought a 1994 honda accord auto transmission. i drove the car about 10 mins and the car seemed to have jus dropped into neutral, i pulled to the side of the road left it go for alittle with the car off. i started the car up 5 mins later and drove it about 7-10 mins again and did the same thing. so i took it to a shop and they said there was nothing really wrong with the transmission. what else would cause it to do the things it is doing? please any help like i said will be appreciated. thank you!

Old 12-15-2006, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1994 transmission problems...any help please!

I've seen this exact problem when the torque converter comes apart, all the junk plugs up the sump inside the trans when the car is running, then you shut it off and enough junk falls from the pick up and the trans gets pressure again.
A simple line pressure test will tell the tale.
Sorry to hear you bought someone elses problem, but the only answer is to either get a salvage yard trans swapped in or get a new TC and pop your trans apart and clean it out.
I might also suggest you stay away from that shop that told you the trans is good, they don't sound like the sharpest tools in the shed.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:51 PM

Maybe this is a deja u happening to someone else lol. This is the exact same scenario that happened with me. I bought the car and on my way home which was 5 hours away, the transmission started slipping. And guess what, its a 94 accord!

Old 12-18-2006, 02:53 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

have you checked the fluid ?? is the d lite on ? if fluid is good .. than the next step is as Dude suggest to chk the pressure ( s)

Old 12-18-2006, 12:59 PM

Before replacing the trans, rule out the easier stuff first.
How many miles are on the trans?
1.) Does the green ‘S’ or ‘D4’ lights blink or come on? This is an indication that the computer has picked up a problem. Accords are notorious for the A/T Control Unit going bad (faulty electronic components) at least ’90-‘93’s. The trans won't shift into gear or may get stuck in a certain gear. If no lights are coming on it could be a dirty shift solenoid. This is a great web site for trans problems. http://techauto.te.funpic.org/transmission.php
2.) Check fluid. If it’s dirty, drain and refill. The plug is magnetic and will pick up most of the metallic debris. I had similar problem, except it would mysteriously switch into Sport mode. The fluid was dirty, so I drained and refilled. I don’t know if this was the cause, but so far (knock on wood), hasn’t been giving me problems with 500 miles since fluid change. I’ve been keeping tabs on the fluid which is still red, but plan to drain and refill again to remove as much as I can short of getting a trans flush. I used Genuine Honda ATF-Z1 fluid that everyone has recommended. Pricey, but if it works its better then replacing the trans.3.) If the fluid is clean (red), check or have the line pressure checked as deserthonda suggested.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:48 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

pressure test unit.....my guess is that as the unit heats up, you are loosing a seal causing the thing to drop out of gear......