General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Disable "super sport"

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 03:01 PM
clumzyfly
Unregistered
Default Disable "super sport"

my 1991 honda accord has super sport. When this is on, it only uses 2nd and 3rd gears. The thing is...it will not get out of this "super sport" mode. I don't ever really need to use this super sport thing. Is there a way to permanently disable it? Or how do I get it back to where I can switch it off and on.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Disable "super sport"

Is that sort of like overdrive?

Old 10-22-2008, 05:36 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I'd move this to the general help section, but I can't ...... stupid DIY sections!

Old 10-23-2008, 05:44 AM
clumzyfly
Unregistered

i wasn't quite sure what the difference between "do it yourself" and "general help" is...they seem the same to me. So, I posted here, since I am going to "do it myself" when I find out what to do.

No, the super sport thing is not like overdrive.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:51 AM

Hey are you talking about that green S light? There's no such thing as a Super Sport Accord to my knowledge. And I doubt you drive a stick because of the way you're talking about the problem. The S light (don't know what the S actually stands for), when lit or blinking, indicates an electrical transmission problem, not a mechanical transmission problem (which would be noted by a blinking D4 on the dash).

Anyway, to address your problem, your TCU (Torque converter Unit) probably indicated a problem. You'll have to jump your Service Check Connector, which can be done with an expensive tool from Honda or with a paper clip. Your choice. Anyway, read this similar post on about.com and follow the tutorial to jump your service check connector. http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl189f.htm Then, everyone else and I can get to the bottom of your problem.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:19 PM
clumzyfly
Unregistered

The car is out at my dad's house right now...when I get the chance to try this stuff out, I'll get back on here and let you all know what's heppening...thanks for helping me out. One quick question...
If the green "S" being on is a problem, why do they put a switch on the shifter to turn it on?