General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Disc Brake Pad Drag Reduction Clip

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 06:21 AM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Disc Brake Pad Drag Reduction Clip

Anyone use these? I was thinking about using them, I need to install rear pads soon.
"Disc Brake Pad Drag Reduction Clips"

I have similar spring clips on the hydraulic disc brakes on my Mountain Bike. The clips push the pad off the rotor, when your foot is off the pedal.

Attached Thumbnails Disc Brake Pad Drag Reduction Clip-416fcacgocl._sl1000_.jpg  
Old 06-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

I haven't. Let us know how they work out.
My suspicion (and it's only a suspicion) is that IF they push the brake pads too far out, you won't have any brakes unless you pump the pedal.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

I'm trying to figure out what good they'll do; automobile disc brakes are not the same as bicycle brakes in that they don't need such springs to force the pads to disengage. Think about it this way, if the brake pads on your car were constantly dragging, said pads would wear out very quickly, your rotors would overheat, and your brakes would fade away to nothing when used in even the most mild of driving conditions.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Honda has used them in limited situations. For example, for the 8th generation Accords, when there were complaints of the original rear disc brakes pads wearing fast, they revised the brake pad material and included one spring for each side (2 total in the set) to insert into the lower part of the pads. (The original pads set didn't come with the springs.) -- Currently, the revised (again) rear brake pads for the 8th generation Accords did away with the spring, as Honda may have realized their revised brake pads and switching the caliper slide pins were adequate.

The original OEM front disc pads for the 8th generation Accords also didn't have them, revised front pads sets included two springs for each side (4 total). Generally, most 8th gen. Accords didn't have pad wear or noise issues. -- Go figure?

Old 06-17-2013, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

On a bicycle, the brake pads wear down slowly & you just make adjustments on the cables. Similarly on disks, they don't wear down as fast as car brakes.

On my Saabs, there's an anti-rattle spring of a different design than Hondas. It IS possible to install it backwards, then it acts just like that spring. It pushes the pads away from the rotors. When you install it backwards, your brake pedal goes right to the floor & you have to pump the pedal to get the pads back into contact with the rotor. Scary thing... so I hope that someone isn't actually marketing something that does that.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:39 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by JimBlake
On a bicycle, the brake pads wear down slowly & you just make adjustments on the cables. Similarly on disks, they don't wear down as fast as car brakes.
The picture in the original post are parts from Raybestos.
The bicycle brakes I am referring to are not what you describe. They are miniature 4 piston.

drag reduction spring and pads.

My rear brakes seem to need pads every 15-20k miles. Maybe it is because the fronts don't do their job as well as they should, I'm using Wagner TQ pads and Centric premium rotors.
I am not going to replace the rotors and pads until next month, I will update then.

Attached Thumbnails Disc Brake Pad Drag Reduction Clip-dscn0267.jpg  

Last edited by MysticBlueEX; 06-18-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

betcha it's pricey to resurface that rotor

Old 06-18-2013, 10:10 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dr. Drivability
betcha it's pricey to resurface that rotor
That's funny ! They are high end stainless. 160mm dia. they cost as much as the Bembro rotors cost for the Accord.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MysticBlueEX
That's funny ! They are high end stainless. 160mm dia. they cost as much as the Bembro rotors cost for the Accord.
so is there a warning light on the handle bars when your brake fluid gets low?

Old 06-18-2013, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

I'm a road-bike guy, so the comment about cables... Still, the adjustment on bicycle disk brakes is more accessible, and they shouldn't wear as fast (speed & mass = far less energy to dissipate).

Does the master cylinder on the bike have a vent that opens to the reservoir when you release the brakes? On a car, that vent provides the auto-adjustment that you need as the pads wear down. But that vent would also allow the springs to COMPLETELY retract the pistons and then your pedal would go to the floor on the first pump.

I'm not sure but suspect that vent (and how the auto-adjustment is done) is the big difference between bike & car.

Still, try those springs & see how they work. Just check them out in the driveway & close to home to make sure they work OK.

Quick Reply: Disc Brake Pad Drag Reduction Clip