General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Do you think Bosch Platinum +4 Spark Plugs are good to buy for a tune-up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Default Do you think Bosch Platinum +4 Spark Plugs are good to buy for a tune-up?

Do you think Bosch Platinum +4 Spark Plugs are good to buy for a tune-up for a 1990 Honda Accord DX? I read they have "A unique four ground electrode design provides optimal access to the air/fuel mixture for the most efficient combustion and a longer performance life". They have a 5 year limited warranty. I plan to give my car a much needed tune-up next week and wanted to know if anyone on this forum has used this type of spark plug (And whether you like them or dislike them, etc)?

1990 Honda Accord DX 2.2L MT

Last edited by letsclique; 06-02-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Normal NGK's are the best choice for your car.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by crispin
Normal NGK's are the best choice for your car.
+1 NGK for all imports, Platinum's can break down over time and bits of the metal fall down on top of you cylinder heads and can gouge your cylinder walls and thats not good!

Old 06-03-2012, 01:53 AM

^^^ ... ???
Originally Posted by letsclique
Do you think Bosch Platinum +4 Spark Plugs are good for a tune-up
Yes, absolutely. They all make the car fire.

Although I choose to get the longest lasting plugs I know of,
which current advertizing depts agree are the Iridium Plugs of any company.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:24 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I've used Bosch Platinum Ir Fusion plugs in several of my vehicles with excellent results. The NGK plugs are very good plugs and far less expensive. They also make extended life plugs and while I had not heard of the flaking issues before, it may be possible.

I've used the plugs for engines that are very difficult to change the plugs in, requiring a lot of hours to change. In these cases, the extra expense of Platinum, Iridium or hybrid plugs like the Bosch Fusion are well worth the extra expense IMO. Don't expect they will improve performance or mileage over good condition conventional plugs, but you can probably expect longer plug life.

Some of this could depend on the condition of your engine in general. If you have very worn components in the system, you could experience plug fouling of any kind of plug. Supposedly these long life, Platinum or Iridium plugs have a much smaller electrode tip, which keeps it hotter and potentially cleaner. But, on the other hand, if a deposit does form on the tip, it would have potentially a bigger impact on performance.

The plugs in my Honda and all the 4 cylinder variants over the generations have been easily accessable and a snap to replace, so the extra expense is probably of questionable value. I do think however, you will be happy with their longevity and consistent performance.

Another thing to consider is whether or not you are getting oil in the spark plug tubes or not. I think your generation may not be succeptable to this problem, but my 94 5th generation 2.2L (non-VTEC) was and if you have that situation, it would be better to eliminate that issue, or plug life will be compromised far more than just the construction type.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:04 AM

NGKs by far. Good point by LANman about the oil in the tubes. 4th gen Accords are prone to this.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I found a set of Bosch platinum plugs in my 2003 MDX. They began missing. I could see nothing in particular, but the design (tip recessed in ceramic tower) probably fouls easier than traditional plug design.

If cost is an issue the Autolite platiinum tip plugs are a bargain, and I've had good service from them in several cars.

good luck

Old 06-03-2012, 07:14 PM

I read that iridium is 6 times stronger than platinum. So, since I am the working poor I think I will buy the inexpensive NGK V-Power spark plugs (But maybe the tune-up after this tune-up I will buy some iridium spark plugs). They are $2.49 at O'reilly Auto Parts store. I wish the platinums weren't an iffy choice because I just saw in the Sunday ads that Wally World has a 2-pack of Autolite platinum spark plugs for $4.97. Thanks, this will be the first tune-up I have done on a car and glad I don't have to pay a shop.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:55 PM

I figure if Honda puts NGK plugs in it, that's what I'll use. They seem to know what they are doing on everything else on the car.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by letsclique
I wish the platinums weren't an iffy choice because I just saw in the Sunday ads that Wally World has a 2-pack of Autolite platinum spark plugs for $4.97.
Thanks, this will be the first tune-up I have done on a car ...
anyway you go is good. spark plugs are mass produced utility functioning widgits. no rocket science.

from your posts suggest just do the WW platinums and check 'em again at 80,000 miles. They'll still be within specs.

if this is your first car tune-up you'll have plenty of happy next-owners through your life to appreciate the care you take w/ your vehicles...

Quick Reply: Do you think Bosch Platinum +4 Spark Plugs are good to buy for a tune-up?