General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you think Bosch Platinum +4 Spark Plugs are good to buy for a tune-up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by UhOh
The car will run for a long time w/ oil in the spark plug wells, so it's not a "do it this week" kinda need (for the working poor).
When I got the '93 at 182,000 and changed the plugs like you're doing, I think there was oil in 3 of the 4 wells. Was running OK.

So tell us, you originally asked about plugs - what plugs did you get and are they working OK?
Oh yeah I also noticed the old spark plugs were a dark brown or black at the ends and the center electrode was very sharp points. Wonder if the old ones were platinum.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:49 AM

go with the NGK's best plug for hondas! an yes iv used those plugs also in my other cars i had,but dont let that 4 electrodes fool u! when the plug delivers the spark it will only fire on one electrode not all 4 like alot of people think?its an ok plug but stick with NGK thats a hell of alot better plug for ur car

Old 06-18-2012, 06:10 PM
rio

+1 ngk

Old 06-18-2012, 11:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The oil in the spark plug wells is usually caused by the lower O rings below the rocker arm assembly. The O rings come with most valve gasket kits, but I've read and heard that it is worth it to just buy real Honda O rings and valve cover gasket for that matter as well. A few more dollars, but probably worth the longer life in the case of the O rings and lack of frustration in the case of the valve cover gasket (most after market gaskets lack a rubber feature that holds it in place while being inverted during installation).

You can try the seals at the top of the wells if you want (I did) first, but I found that changing the O rings is not nearly as difficult as I imagined. There is an excellent video on You Tube by The Car Guy showing how to do the job. I've done it and it finally cured my wells full of oil scenario. While it probably isn't that big of a problem, my concern was that every time I changed the plugs or pulled them for any reason, I was letting quite a bit of old oil down into the cylinders. I would imagine enough of it could potentially cause damage when restarting, so if you have this issue, you might want to turn the engine over several times with the plugs removed to ensure oil doesn't shoot out the plug holes. If it is enough to do that, it would be enough to potentially do severe engine damage if you didn't get the excess out of there first.