General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Honda's really last forever?Distributor or Coil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 02:54 PM
Default Does Honda's really last forever?Distributor or Coil?

I've read so many post about my Honda, I'm so confused to whether to fix this last issue and hope it will be the last thing or should I sell for parts.. I brought a 1996 lx accord coupe 5 speed, used with 169k. It now has 204,133 miles. I keep hearing Honda’s last forever. If it last one more year, I get special antique plates. lol. Also a lot of guys offers to buy.

Within the last year I replaced this with new parts: 4 new tires with alignment, battery, full complete tune up. O2 senser, Timing belt, water pump, head gasket & valves replaced, upper control arm & tire rods, rack & pinion boot kit, rear drum & shoes. Radiator hose, heater bypass hose
Used parts, ignition coil, distributor, air compressor

If I had the money to buy a new car, I would have done it when my timing belt went while on a job assignment in Florida.

That was the first issue that I fixed along with the water pump. Because of money and time I did not get the 2 valves fixed at the time. The mechanic said I could make it so , I drove from Jacksonville-Richmond. The only issue was stopping for gas-the car cut off but then restarted.

I had the head and gasket replaced along with a complete tune up by an experience back yard mechanic. Everything was fine drove about 90 miles. Then I noticed the rmp moving crazy, started misfiring then the car would not start it died. After I spent all that money. I left it alone for a while then,,

We replaced the ignition coil and distributor with used parts. Also he took out the car alarm & remote starter that the previous owner installed he thought it was causing the issues . Whatever he did it worked. The car started. I didn't have problems for about 6 months.
Until the car over heated. Didn’t realize the car can over heat in winter? I replaced heater bypass and the radiator hose last month. Car ran fine…..

NOW, My RPM needle keeps moving crazy AGAIN. It idles when shifting gears usually in 3rd and 4th gear. While driving, yesterday it cut off while driving at high speed. It restarted, and I made it home. I took the car to Honda for a diagnosis these are the codes

P1381,int. interruption in cyp sensor circuit P1297, low voltage in ELD circuit P0420 Catalyst distributor. 98-972 which was a recall on protective loom, they fixed free.

Honda said I needed to buy a distributor to see if that will be the issue, Or it could be the ignition coil. If I buy a distributor for this old car, you think I would have other issues? Or is it time to leave it alone. Throw in the flag!!

Old 02-27-2015, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Well you are asking this on an Accord forum so some of us might lean one way more than others.

IMHO the 5th gen Accords (94-97) are some very well built cars. You take care of them and they will run for a long time and take care of you.

If you are not into doing repairs yourself, you might think about finding an independent repair shop - the dealer is almost always going to cost more.

Me, just reading the post. For the P1381 - After doing some testing I'd find a used dist buy a new o-ring, cap and rotor and install. Pretty simple replacement for me.

I'd then replace the spark plugs if they are close to being due - I think they are due every ~24K miles. Then replace both O2 sensors.

I'm just "ballparking" this but that is like ~$150 in parts and maybe two hours of my time.....then I think what the monthly paymenat on a new car would be :shurg:

Again this is just my opinion and based upon the way I read your post/thread.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:38 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I agree,,,But I own a 96 as well,,good luck..

Old 03-09-2015, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the advice. I did buy a new ignition coil ($50). It was cheaper than replacing the distributor. It actually worked for a few days. The needle stopped moving rapidly in the RPM needle.