General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1993 honda accord LX rack and pinion power steering fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 08:09 PM
Default 1993 honda accord LX rack and pinion power steering fluid leak

Car: 1993 honda accord LX
When I finally got done replacing my drivers side cv boot + inner and outer tie rod. I noticed were this leak was coming from. Because there was a panel you take off that is held up by 3 bolts.
My only question is how do I fix this leak? Do I buy a new rubber seal? Since I can't seem to find the part number.

In the two pictures provided: It shows a rubber seal I believe that needs to be replace (I'm not 100% sure on this). I'm not sure it disconnects on this spot or if it's just one hose.
It does leak on idle, and I did notice the power steering fluids very low, below the min mark. So does anybody know what that rubber seal is for and what part number it is. Is there a tutorial on how to fix these seals anywhere?

Old 11-16-2019, 01:28 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by plenum
Car: 1993 honda accord LX
When I finally got done replacing my drivers side cv boot + inner and outer tie rod. I noticed were this leak was coming from. Because there was a panel you take off that is held up by 3 bolts.
My only question is how do I fix this leak? Do I buy a new rubber seal? Since I can't seem to find the part number.

In the two pictures provided: It shows a rubber seal I believe that needs to be replace (I'm not 100% sure on this). I'm not sure it disconnects on this spot or if it's just one hose.
It does leak on idle, and I did notice the power steering fluids very low, below the min mark. So does anybody know what that rubber seal is for and what part number it is. Is there a tutorial on how to fix these seals anywhere?
Do you have a better picture with more light on it? I'm trying to see where your leak is, but it's pretty dark there.

Old 11-16-2019, 03:37 PM

Maybe these will help out some more. Hard to get in close without it blurring.

Old 11-16-2019, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

I think that is a rubber bushing to prevent rattling, so it is not a seal. I am guessing that the PS hose got corroded inside that bushing and sprung a leak.

You may want to clean off that whole line and make sure the leak is not coming from the other end.

What do both ends of the metal line connect to? It is hard to tell in the picture.

Old 11-17-2019, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I think that is a rubber bushing to prevent rattling, so it is not a seal. I am guessing that the PS hose got corroded inside that bushing and sprung a leak.

You may want to clean off that whole line and make sure the leak is not coming from the other end.

What do both ends of the metal line connect to? It is hard to tell in the picture.
Yup the rubber is to prevent rattling. To me it looks like a return line, but can't really tell for sure. My own Accord had a leak there on the supply line (a 99 Accord), due to the line rusting and vibration from the outside. I had already replaced the return lines, as they had rusted thru too. Getting the lines off the steering rack was the hard part of the job, due to a lack of room to swing some tools. The newer pics helped though.

Old 11-17-2019, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
Yup the rubber is to prevent rattling. To me it looks like a return line, but can't really tell for sure. My own Accord had a leak there on the supply line (a 99 Accord), due to the line rusting and vibration from the outside. I had already replaced the return lines, as they had rusted thru too. Getting the lines off the steering rack was the hard part of the job, due to a lack of room to swing some tools. The newer pics helped though.
I'll check on this, it seems from my own very picture. It is going back up, it might be the return line (Not 100% sure). If I don't figure out what it is, it seems I can't order the part. Although, I'm wondering if it's possible to do a patch repair. By using aluminum and then sneaking it under the rubber, then use a clamp to make it tight.

I know that it leaks when it idles, am I to assume it leaks when it drives? Because of more pressure, maybe it doesn't leak?

Old 11-17-2019, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

The rubber grommet isn't a seal, it is there for vibration. The higher the pressure, the more it will leak.

Old 11-17-2019, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The rubber grommet isn't a seal, it is there for vibration. The higher the pressure, the more it will leak.
Thanks I did some more research on this. I take if it is a return line and a low pressure hose. I can use a regular hose (designed for power steering fluid) that can be matched at auto zone.

But if it's a high pressure hose than it will blow up. I got to see where its going to. According to this video it can be patched repaired:

So are return lines low pressure hoses?

Last edited by plenum; 11-17-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by plenum
Thanks I did some more research on this. I take if it is a return line and a low pressure hose. I can use a regular hose (designed for power steering fluid) that can be matched at auto zone.

But if it's a high pressure hose than it will blow up. I got to see where its going to. According to this video it can be patched repaired:

https://youtu.be/aG1JEPFou_U?t=184

So are return lines low pressure hoses?
Depends on what you call low pressure. You can get away with using hose made for powering steering/automatic transmissions, as it's a little thicker than fuel hose (higher burst pressure). If you can, I'd try and follow it, and see where it goes. If it goes toward the radiator along the front frame rail, then it's a return line. If it goes forward some, then goes up to the pump, it's a high pressure line.
If it's a high pressure line, then look on e-bay or Rock Auto for a new line.
I ended up getting all new steel lines from different sellers thru e-bay (genuine Honda parts). When I replaced my leaking high pressure line, I got it thru Rock Auto.

Old 11-18-2019, 05:29 PM

Depends on what you call low pressure. You can get away with using hose made for powering steering/automatic transmissions, as it's a little thicker than fuel hose (higher burst pressure). If you can, I'd try and follow it, and see where it goes. If it goes toward the radiator along the front frame rail, then it's a return line. If it goes forward some, then goes up to the pump, it's a high pressure line.
I ended up getting all new steel lines from different sellers thru e-bay (genuine Honda parts). When I replaced my leaking high pressure line, I got it thru Rock Auto.
This is where it connects onto the power steering rack (the one on the left)

These next images show were it goes up:

It is going towards the radiator but then I lose track of where it goes to after that. There is three connections to the power steering reservoir. The bottom one goes to the power steering pump.
Then there is two near "min level" line. So are these two connected to each other? What is the other one for? There both return lines? But why is there two of them. And where is the other one coming from?

So this is the return line? I'm trying to find steering rack and pinion chart on this????

Last edited by plenum; 11-18-2019 at 05:37 PM.

Quick Reply: 1993 honda accord LX rack and pinion power steering fluid leak