General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dome light not coming on when door opened

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:21 AM
Default Dome light not coming on when door opened

The dome light works while inside the car when you turn it on or off. But when you open the door it will not work. The switch is set to turn on the light when the door opens. Is this a bulb or fuse problem ??

Old 02-16-2010, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Open the door with the car turned on. Does the door-open warning lamp come on? For most years (maybe all) that uses the same door switch.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:06 PM

Hi MSC71, have you ever fixed your problem? I'm having the same trouble with my '04. Thanks.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:10 PM

Any Solutions found. Don't know if my problem is the same. I have 04 Accord LX and the map lights work, but the lights don't come on when the door is opened. For the longest time, this only happened on the passenger side, now it is both. Bulbs are good, I think it is some sort of connection issue, but can't figure it out.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:33 PM
Administrator

This seems to be an ongoing problem in here since the 1st post back in 2010
No one ever figure this out yet?

Don't look like it.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator

The map light issue has been resolved.

For LX, the spotlights/map lights only comes on if you press them. For an EX or EX-V6, there is a switch option to have them come on when the doors open. See post #7 in this thread:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...uestion-44257/

If the maplight doesn't work, and it is not due to the bulb, then the base unit needs to be replaced. See post #6 of this thread:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...g-issue-43602/

Old 01-01-2017, 07:42 PM

I'm having the same problem with my dome light, but the light in my door still comes on, so it can't be the switch

Old 02-18-2017, 12:59 AM
Default Dome Light Issue - Easy fix

Seems like this issue with the "Dome/Map/Ceiling Light not working when the door is opened... but works when you press the lens button to turn it on/off with the door closed" is a common problem.

Today, I fixed mine in a 2006 Honda Accord EX V6 Automatic (226,000 miles) with the aid of this you tube video,

Basically,
Remove both lenses.
Remove both screws/bolts.
Use a pry tool in the space toward the front of the car to loosen and lower the base unit. Once it's loose, I slid the unit to the right to give space for the switch to slide out. There was no need to unplug the base unit (as shown in the video).

The switch will slide left (for the driver's side) or right (for the passenger's side). There was enough space to slide the switch out with the use of a pry tool. It is held in place by 3 prongs.

In Summary, You do not need to change out the entire base unit (MSRP $55.98), the issue appears to be in the switch located in the base unit (Dorman Part #924-798). Mine came in a kit of 2 switches. I bought them on ebay for under $14.00 (free shipping).

Last edited by dcpappas1965; 02-18-2017 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Needed to add some additional information
Old 02-22-2017, 09:32 AM

That's a great instructioinal video, and is linked from a switch provider in the UK.

Maybe all issues are sorted re. the map / dome lights by now?

The map reading light / dome light switches in some assemblies are common faults on a number of hondas.

For the UK members, there're available in the UK on eBay, along with some diagnostic info. and the YouTube link.

Search Google for: "ebay uk Honda-Civic-Accord-CRV-Jazz-Interior-map-reading-light-switch-not-working" and that should point you straight to the item.

Hope this helps

Old 07-22-2019, 08:07 PM

This same issue resolved itself by removing and re-installing the fuses under the hood. nothing was changed, just wiggled them and light was back on. hope this helps someone

Quick Reply: Dome light not coming on when door opened