General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Door ajar beep, dome light, key sense problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Default Door ajar beep, dome light, key sense problems

Hi, my 92 Accord was experiencing a multitude of issues:

- Sometimes closing the door would not turn off the dome light or the door open indicator on the dash.
- Sometimes when driving, the door ajar would come on and the dome light if I hit a serious pothole.
- Sometimes when removing the key from the column, the beep would occur indicating the key was still in the column. Giving the column a smack stopped it for that instance.

I might have solved these issues. It's been about a week since I've encountered any of these issues.

I initially thought there were multiple problems relating to different things, but they may all be related to the door jamb button/lever/actuator. I removed the door jamb actuator thinking perhaps it was bad and noticed the sleeve for the wire was way down the wire. Perhaps the wire was touching the metal on occassion and grounding out? I pulled the sleeve up over the wire and the problem has not reoccurred... any of these problems.

I assumed that the dome light/door ajar would be resolved, but I didn't expect it to fix the key sense issue. I'm keeping my fingers crossed in hopes the problem does not reoccur.

I don't really have a question, but hope this information might be helpful to someone else experiencing such problems.

Old 05-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Default RE: Door ajar beep, dome light, key sense problems

This is a lesson to me to keep my mouth shut. The key sense thing started up again. What is happening on occassion, not always, is when I remove the ignition key the car beeps. I've learned that giving the steering column a whack will stop the noise.

Is this the key sense wire? Does it need tweaking or something replaced? Does anyone have information or diagram on this?

Much thanks!

Old 05-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: eckhart

This is a lesson to me to keep my mouth shut. The key sense thing started up again. What is happening on occassion, not always, is when I remove the ignition key the car beeps. I've learned that giving the steering column a whack will stop the noise.

Is this the key sense wire? Does it need tweaking or something replaced? Does anyone have information or diagram on this?

Much thanks!
spray some wd-40 in the ign switch where the key goes in, .it might be dirty and sticking,, . if problem does not go away, you got to replace the ignition switch mechanical part

Old 05-08-2006, 01:05 PM

Thanks, will give it a shot!