General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Door courtesy light doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 05:12 AM
kaabob
Unregistered
Default Door courtesy light doesn't work

I did a little search but I couldn't find anyone as clumsy as me...

I was working on rerouting my driver side door courtesy lights when I shorted the contacts for the lights. I was dumb and forgot the wires were hot and tried to use pilers to take the contacts out of the socket and inadvertently shorted it (for a few good seconds, then again and again.) However, all the controls on the driver side door (power windows, power locks, power mirrors) work.

Not only does the driver side door courtesy light fail to turn on, when I open the door, the car does not recognize the door is open (the interior lights won't brighten when the door is ajar, and if I use the key fob to open the door, the doors auto-lock in 30 seconds). Funny thing is, all 3 of the other doors are recognized as ajar when opened.

What do I do? Fuse #6 (For interior lights) in the interior fuse box is intact. I think I may have burnt some wires in the driver side door =(...

Help !

Edit: I'm thinking it may have shorted the door switch in the process. Is this possible?

Old 03-05-2009, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

On earlier models an underhood (Fuse 30- 20A) powered courtesy lights. Your's may be similar.

Check autozone.com for a wiring diagram for your model.

good luck

Old 03-05-2009, 05:40 PM
kaabob
Unregistered

I check the underhood fusebox and didn't find a fuse for interior lights. Apparently my car doesn't have a Fuse 30, or a Fuse 46 for that matter (http://econtent.autozone.com:24991/z...5280021dfb.gif)

I guess I'll try removing the door switch and testing it this weekend.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If ceiling light and trunk light are also not working, odds are very high there is a bad fuse in underhood fuse box that controls the circuit. Nothing else but fuse is common to both lights.

good luck

Old 03-10-2009, 09:37 PM

There is a good chance you burned out the door Jam switch not too expensive of a fix ( $5 or so ) I think it may have the pin style some cars do have a mercury or motion activated switch on inside of door ...I would think those would be more expensive and a bigger pain in the A** to get to.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

under dash fuse # 6 , 7.5 amps you said it is ok,,

chk under dash fuse box fuse # 21, 7.5 amps, under hood fuse box fuse # 13 , 20 amps..

if all are ok, you might have damaged the MICU ( multi integrated control unit )

Old 03-29-2009, 01:45 AM
kaabob
Unregistered

I took my car to the Honda dealership to get it check out and yes indeed, it is the multiplex control unit (MICU) that has been fried. Honda tech asked for $400 to get it replaced, but I'll probably have to shop around and replace it myself...

Old 07-20-2021, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by kaabob
I took my car to the Honda dealership to get it check out and yes indeed, it is the multiplex control unit (MICU) that has been fried. Honda tech asked for $400 to get it replaced, but I'll probably have to shop around and replace it myself...

how much were you charged for diagnosing that? I have the same problem on my 2001 Honda Accord EX 3.0 V6. Drivers side courtesy light doesn’t turn on and the dome light doesn’t turn on when I open the door. I noticed the ground wire to the courtesy light is bad and I traced it back to the fuse box on passenger side and it seems the ground is bad in the fuse box. Like the connector pins that seem to be connected to the yellow wire that is the ground for passenger courtesy light doesn’t give me ground. maybe even further but I haven’t checked.