General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drippy Oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 04:45 PM
Default Drippy Oil

2003 Accord EX - 2.4L - 182K

My precious Honda, that has never used any oil, has developed an oil leak. Looking from under the car, it appears to be the right-side oil pan, but as things would have it, it might be the seal that's behind the crankshaft pulley. Tell me what's behind that pulley and that it is a REAL easy fix if needed. Of course, I'll crawl under there and tighten the pan bolts, but that's probably positive thinking.

Larry in Cincinnati

Old 02-01-2016, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

The directions in the car are based on sitting in the driver's seat, so the right side means the passenger side. Where is the leak coming from?

Old 02-01-2016, 10:37 PM

Right side means the passenger side means the right side. That's in the original posting. Is there a oil seal behind the main belt pulley (crankshaft)?

Old 02-02-2016, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, Honda calls it the chain case oil seal, or front crankshaft seal. There is also a service bulletin that states: A leaking power steering pump O-ring can cause an oil leak that looks like it's coming from beneath the cam chain cover. Before you remove the cam chain cover, spray a little leak detector powder on the power steering pump. If the pump is leaking, replace it.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

I was thinking your engine was setup like the 98-02 accord, where the timing cover was on the driver's side.

The steps to get to the timing cover are the same as changing the timing chain for the repair. You may be able to remove the upper timing cover and may be able to do and inspection.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Leaks are a pain to find the source. Momentum of the vehicle and good old gravity like to play tricks. And by gravity, I mean not directly straight down. A leak from one side may travel horizontally and drip to the other side. Although a visual check underneath is the first thing, and the pan is typically what is first suspected...what I find is that a leak is best confirmed by examining the suspected area directly. Crackhead seal or rear main are both behind a lot of stuff, so hate to say it, but taking things apart is probably the only sure way to confirm. However, if you had UV dye, blacklight, and glasses, hopefully tracing the leak would be a heck easier than just tearing things down. I was able to trace 2 areas on mine that were contributing sources. God forbid when I do the water pump, there happens to be oil by the crackhead seal.

Dye is cheap from auto retail. But ebay was even cheaper for the light and glasses. Just a note. Just confirm that the liquid is indeed engine oil, vs power steering, ATF, coolant, water, brake, etc...

Last edited by According2You; 02-07-2016 at 10:04 PM. Reason: oil comes in many shades