General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver door not recognized as open/closed. No courtesy light or dome light when open.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 03:15 PM
Default Driver door not recognized as open/closed. No courtesy light or dome light when open.

The driver door is no longer recognized as open/closed.

When the door is opened, the dome light and courtesy door light don't go on.
With the keys in the ignition and the door open, it doesn't show open on the dash.
With the door open and the headlights on, there is no warning chime.
There is no horn when locking the car with the key fob (pressing it 2 times).

I replaced the door switch in the the jamb and same issues. The fuse for the dome light, passenger door courtesy light, etc is OK (pulled - lights are off, replaced - lights back on, except for driver's door).

Is there anything else I can check before taking it in?

Thx,
cmel3
2006 EXL, 4 cyl, auto

Old 05-29-2013, 03:54 PM

I would get one of those tap lights they sell on TV before taking it to the dealer

Old 05-30-2013, 05:00 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Usually it is the door jamb switch, those little rubber things. I would think it's locked in the "in" position here? But you said you replaced it which is highly strange.

I think they're reversible, can you try pulling the one on the working passenger side and swapping it with the one on the driver side and seeing it it works? If so you might have gotten another bum switch? Just using a new switch doesn't prove the problem is not the switch right?

Old 05-30-2013, 08:34 AM

I did swap the switch from the passenger door and had the same results.

I also swapped the courtesy light bulb from the passenger door with driver door and had no change (not that I expected any).

From what I've found online, it seems to be related to the MICU. Unless there is another fuse that has gone bad, but I would think that the other doors and dome light wouldn't work either, which they presently do.

I'm just looking for other things to check before I have to take it in for diagnostics, which are going to run $150.

Thanks,

cmel3

Old 05-31-2013, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Jump the wire to a known good ground. What happens? Just me but if the body is rusted then you are not getting ground (door open) to the switch......I think it is the BRN wire that goes to the system.