General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Driver window rolls down, not back up in 96 accord

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Red face Driver window rolls down, not back up in 96 accord

bascially, I have a 96 4-door Honda Accord and I've been having trouble with the drivers side window. It rolls down fine with no struggle at all but it doesn't roll back up. A couple weeks ago I noticed that it would roll down fine but struggle to roll back up (it would pause and then roll up very slowly, once rolled up there was a chemical smell i don't know if that matters but it smelled like a chemical gas). Now the window is rolled all the way down (in an attempt to see if rolling it all the way down would trigger something to make it roll all the way up lol) and it won't roll back up. I'm not a mechanical person and I don't really have time to take it to the mechanic so if anyone could help I would really appreciate it! All the other windows work perfect, the drivers side is the only one with problems. I might post again in DIY too but I need as much help as possible

Old 01-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Here in General Tech is the best place for this. We're trying to make DIY into a library of procedures that are already written up. Not a question&answer forum.

Sorry, but I don't know the answer to your actual question. But it sounds like the window motor has burned out & you'll need to take the door apart to replace it.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:53 PM

Thanks Jim, that's what I thought I won't re-post.

UPDATE: My window rolled back up finally, I don't know if this had to do with me jiggling the switch a lot or nudging (read: punching and kicking, lol it was my last option) the inside door panel. Anyways, since the window is obviously extremely tempermental I'd still like to know what caused this and what I should do in the future (i.e. should i replace something? can I do it myself? etc.). Thanks a bunch!!

Old 01-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

The switch-pack probably snaps out of the armrest. See if that smells burned. Like the electricians say, you "let the smoke out" of something. Replacing the switch isn't bad (except $$).

If it's the actual motor that burned up, then you have to remove the inner door panel. Unless of course you already broke it apart by kicking... This picture probably doesn't help too much, cause it doesn't say exactly where all the fasteners are located.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:21 PM

Wow thanks! that helps a lot actually . I didn't punch it or kick it too hard, I was too scared I'd break something (because women break everything you know ). But your advice is a great start for me next time I have problems and since i do want to fix it when I get the time. Thank you sooo much!

Old 01-22-2010, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

Go to the DIY forum & look for a sticky thread about manuals. Probably should be a link where you can download a manual for somewhere between 94-97 Accords. That should have real detailed instructions to remove that panel & remove the motor.