General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ecu failure and more!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 10:17 PM
Exclamation Ecu failure and more!!!

Hi, I need some much needed advice. My 2005 Honda Accord was running perfect on my way to work and I have had no issues until now. When I get off work the Green Key icon was flashing on my Dash and wouldnt start upon further inspection gas was leaking from somewhere near my fuel rail and formed a large puddle underneath my car in my work parking lot. Later I realized that the computer was severely water damaged after inspecting it it was full of liquid from my AC line the AC condenser leak on top of my computer and I had no idea. So I ordered a used ECU and immobilizer unit along with and ignition cylinder and key all from the same vehicle. The part number matches th part number of my original ECU and the ECU was also from the same year and had the same 2.4 motor. When installed the key smbol dissapeared and the OBDI2 scanner reads it now but it still wont start it just cranks. At this point I just need pointed in the right direction has anybody else ran into the fuel issue. Or is there something that I'm missing is the computer supposed to be flashed even though I changed the ECU along with the immobilizer unit and ignition key and cylinder?

Last edited by Andrewom78@gmail.com; 10-22-2016 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Does the green key light turn on for about 2 seconds, then turn off?

Also, when you try to start the vehicle, does the starter turn the engine, or does nothing happen?

Did you repair the fuel leak, or was it related to the PCM failure?

Old 10-22-2016, 11:09 PM

The green light comes on now and goes back off.

When u try to start the starter is engaged and it just cranks, also you can hear the fuel pump come on

The fuel leak happend I'm assuming from multiple start attempts and from the ECU FAILURE my thoughts were that it got flooded but not sure if that was possible to dump that much fuel

Old 10-22-2016, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Since you had water on the ECU, I'd suggest checking all of your fuses in the engine bay fuse box and the box under the driver's dash. A quick way to do this is to use a test light (a volt meter would work too).

See this video:

Old 10-23-2016, 12:06 AM

I checked all fuses already along with swapping all pertaining relay around with equal amperage

Old 10-23-2016, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

I think the immobilizer works by preventing the starter from working, but I definitely can be wrong. When you turn the key from II to Off, does the green key light flash 5 times?

The honda shop manual goes into the Honda Diagnostic Scanner stuff for the immobilizer that usually only dealerships have.

You may need to verify that you are missing spark, fuel, or compression to the engine.

Old 03-06-2020, 03:41 PM

So i'm new to this forum. I just created an account. I have an iusse similar to this yet different. I have a 2005 honda accord EX 6 speed manual coupe. I had to have a new ignition cylinder installed and it came with the immobilizer unit and two master keys with the valet key as well. I purchased the OE part through my local honda dealership. They installed the parts and all went well. I was having immobilizer issues prior to this. Hence the reason why I opted to have the dealer install OE parts. They said that they cannot get the keys to program to the vehicle. I know that the ecu has a max memory bank of "X" amount of keys. I also know that sometimes you have to completely flash the ecu and start all over as if programming a brand new car. I do not currently have access to the vehicle as it is still in the dealership's possession. I was wondering if anyone had any clue as to what would cause this issue or of any solutions. If I am posting in the wrong place someone please direct me to where to post this request. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-07-2020, 01:45 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I think the immobilizer works by preventing the starter from working, but I definitely can be wrong. When you turn the key from II to Off, does the green key light flash 5 times?

The honda shop manual goes into the Honda Diagnostic Scanner stuff for the immobilizer that usually only dealerships have.

You may need to verify that you are missing spark, fuel, or compression to the engine.
I was thinking the immobilizer shut off the fuel pump. Maybe it also kills spark to the engine. I don't know for sure which one it does. But the engine needs both to function.

Old 03-07-2020, 01:49 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by proshredda91
So i'm new to this forum. I just created an account. I have an iusse similar to this yet different. I have a 2005 honda accord EX 6 speed manual coupe. I had to have a new ignition cylinder installed and it came with the immobilizer unit and two master keys with the valet key as well. I purchased the OE part through my local honda dealership. They installed the parts and all went well. I was having immobilizer issues prior to this. Hence the reason why I opted to have the dealer install OE parts. They said that they cannot get the keys to program to the vehicle. I know that the ecu has a max memory bank of "X" amount of keys. I also know that sometimes you have to completely flash the ecu and start all over as if programming a brand new car. I do not currently have access to the vehicle as it is still in the dealership's possession. I was wondering if anyone had any clue as to what would cause this issue or of any solutions. If I am posting in the wrong place someone please direct me to where to post this request. Thanks in advance.
No, you're in the right place with your post. No idea why the dealer can't get it to accept a programing though, unless they were using the valet key.

Old 03-07-2020, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
No, you're in the right place with your post. No idea why the dealer can't get it to accept a programing though, unless they were using the valet key.
Well the interesting thing is, there was no master key with the vehicle when I leased it. Then again, with the correct transponder chip in it and having been working all along, for 2 years mind you, why would it all of the sudden make such a huge difference if it was the valet or not? I'm at a loss.....

Quick Reply: Ecu failure and more!!!