General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Electrical Help (Battery Drain) 96 honda accord

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 08:49 AM
Default Electrical Help (Battery Drain) 96 honda accord

1996 Honda Accord LX 4 cylinder(non v-tec) 5 speed. About 2 months ago my right front tire blew out, ripping out all the front right wiring harness. The car ran fine, just no horn, R headlight, or r blinker, or cruise control. I finally got a harness from a junk yard, I put it in place, I only hooked up the blinker, headlight and horn, and the relay to run them. They now work just fine. Yesterday, they starter seemed funny when it went to start but, it started fine, and worked fine for the rest of the day. that was about 4 days after the harness was put in. Today I try to go to school and the starter had no power i held the key and the starter gained enough revs to start the car, and my radio and clock was reset. I grabbed my jump box just in case. When I got to school I figured the alternator should have given it some charge, I immediately tried to restart the car and again starter had no power. Now im in class and hoping the jump box will start it later, If anyone could help me to locate the problem it would be much appreciated.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

I would unbolt that all ends of both battery cables. Clean them with a wire brush and tighten them back down.

Once you clean the connections, I would also have the battery/alternator/starter tested at a parts store, because it could simply be that the battery is bad.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:27 PM

im thinking its the battery, I unplugged the horn when I got to school, because the connectors have been loose lately and thought maybe that, it seemed to start better, I got home and put it on the charger, its been there for 6 hours now and its only at 72 percent. so either A battery is bad, or B there is a massive short draining the battery faster than my charger is charging it.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:36 PM
Administrator

Go to parts store tomorrow...Advance or Auto Zone and have them do a check on the car...