General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical problem with 2004 V6

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Red face Electrical problem with 2004 V6

Hello,

I'm a newbie from Thailand. I love my 2004 V6 Accord and have 180,000 kilometers on it. I've got an electrical problem but so far the dealer has not been able to solve it and the computer shows no codes. He guesses it may be a problem with the multiplex, but since there are no computer codes showing, he said he doesn't want to replace multiplex yet. Here are the symptoms:

1. Sometimes when I turn on the headlights, the engine dies. I can restart with no problem.
2. Sometimes the headlights flicker.
3. A few times, when I'm on the highway and signaling to exit, I begin to brake and then the green drive ('D') light goes out for a second and I see the orange engine light flash. There is a click sound and the car hesitates for a second. Then, just as quickly all is back to normal.
4. Sometimes, when I'm on the highway and signaling to change lanes, the car hesitates for a second (for this case I'm not sure if the green drive light goes out or not) as I have not noticed.

Can anyone please give me any ideas as to what may be the problem. Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Finally, I think I've already said this, I love my 2004 V6 Accord.

Neal

Old 10-22-2010, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Can you get the car to stall out by just shaking the key?

Have you had the battery/alternator tested? Clean and tighten all ends of both battery cables?

Old 10-23-2010, 02:33 AM

Hi PAhonda,

Thanks for your reply.

About the key in the ignition, I've not been able to get it to stall that way.

About the battery/alternator, I've just replaced the battery to see if this would help the problem, but it's still the same. And, I had the mechanic check all connections to the battery already.

So, this last time, the mechanic said he'd clean all contacts and then let me drive the car again to see when it will happen again.

Thanks,
Neal

Old 10-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

American Honda had recall for a fuse box replacement, technical service bulletin (tsb) #05-014, where they would replace the fuse box. You might check with the dealer over in Thailand if your problem may be related.

Safety Recall:
Fuse Box May Cause a No-Start or Stalling Condition

BACKGROUND
A loose terminal in the driver's under-dash fuse/relay box may cause the fuel pump to lose power. If the fuel pump becomes inoperative, the engine may not start. In the worst case, if the fuel pump loses power while driving, the engine could stall without warning, and a crash could occur.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:44 AM

Hi redbull-1,

Thanks for your response. I will mention this to the mechanic to see if he knows about this recall. When he was diagnosing the problem, he mentioned that he thinks it's the multiplex box or maybe the pump. But, if it's a problem with the fuse box, that would explain the stalling but how about when I turn on the headlights and the motor dies. For my idea, I'm thinking that all the symptoms that I'm seeing are related to an electrical failure. Not sure where that fault would be.

Thanks again,
Neal

Old 10-24-2010, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

The recall issue is dealing with a loose terminal in the fuse/relay box. So, it is electrical.

The multiplex control unit is part of the fuse/relay box, US part number 38200-SDN-A22. The fuse/relay box/multiplex is held in with two mounting bolts.

Last edited by redbull-1; 10-24-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:29 AM

Hi redbull-1,

Thanks, again, for your response. It does sound like this could be a definite possibility. I will go and discuss with the mechanic. But, I'm wondering if this was an actual defect with all cars, why would it have taken almost six years of driving my car before it showed up?

Thanks for your help.

Neal

Old 10-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn’t say that this affected the majority of 7th gen Accords. It’s just one of those things.

Based on your symptoms, it kind of points to the multiplex. Honda’s recall in the U.S. was for some Hondas within certain VIN ranges. Although, Honda’s explanation on the TSB and recall letters was a loose terminal in the fuse/relay box causing the fuel pump to not operate, there may have been other cause(s) or detail which was not stated, such as a problem with the multiplex or that the loose terminal actually had to do with the multiplex. Since the multiplex was part of the fuse/relay box for the 7th gen Accord, if they replaced the whole unit, essentially whatever underlying problem within the unit should be removed.

On another note, even if a potential problem can exist, it may take a while before it causes a failure. For example, Honda issued a recall on some of the older Hondas related to the ignition switch; however, not every Honda under the recall had an actual failure. Additionally, some owner’s are only now having problems with the ignition switch after years of driving.

An analogy would be a bridge using the wrong material or welding which can have a potential to develop cracks. Whether it develops a crack and eventually cause a failure may or may not happen. It may also take years for it to become a problem even if a crack developed.

Last edited by redbull-1; 10-25-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:54 AM

I am currently having the same problems as Notneil. If there has been anyone who has had the problem and had it fixed, please let me know what was the cause.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:36 PM

I have same problem with my 04 accord v6 driving and brakes apply engine stalls , turn. Head lights stalls, flicker high beams stalls out also I spoke to service adviser to dealer and the know me there I am a customer and they never mention anything about a recall or TSB I paid $199.99 for multiplex unit that I will isntall my self this weekend

Quick Reply: Electrical problem with 2004 V6