General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emission Light is On 2003 EX-L

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, every car seems to say check for the gas cap being loose. That's only one of more than 100 different things that can possibly set off the engine-lamp. I think of all the possible things to go wrong the gas cap is the only thing that EVERY owner who doesn't own a screwdriver can check for themselves. The company-line always seems to be "take it to a dealer to check it out". Not everyone can afford to do that.

To be fair, there's fewer & fewer geeky people who can fix their own cars. Every carmaker has to write the owners-manual in a way that doesn't encourage beginners to take the engine apart.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:16 AM

Thanks for more input. The idle roughness just started yesterday and above an idle it runs just fine. I would think if you bend a valve you're going to notice it at all rpms, get some backfires, et al. My experience with such things, however, is from years and years ago. I was assuming that the timing at an idle is now off, hence the roughness. But clearly it is getting worse. It's been this way for maybe 10 days, but most of those days involved very little driving.

But I'm going to park it, rent a car, and find a replacement. I'll just trade it in. Easier if its running, but I'm sure the problem won't make a difference with a 14 year old trade in. They just send it to salvage / auction anyway.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

If it has only been a few days/miles since this first came up, very good chance things are no that bad.

Choice of what to do is yours - ~1K in repairs (pay someone) or a newer car (car payments?, and no telling what "might happen to it?").

good luck in what ever you decide.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:24 AM

Any thoughts on the 2017 Accord? I looked at an EX last night. Much is different from my old '03, but at the same time, it felt very familiar. The driving position and general feel was quite similar. I haven't done an actual test drive, but will. One thing I've liked about my old was that it was spirited, handled well, comfortable while still getting good mileage. Those seem to be trade offs in other cars I've started to consider.

What has been people's experience with the latest model Accords? Still as good as earlier ones?

Old 03-31-2017, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

I have to say honestly that I can't give good details on this......the last daily driving Accord I was in was a 95. About 3~4 years ago I started driving the 07 Pilot as the wife moved to a Sabb. Long story to get back to the fact she got tired of that and got a 16 Pilot in June of 15 - figure that one out.

Anyway, if it is in the budget a new one is always going to be a bit nicer. At the same time there are going to be things we "miss" about the older one - when I drive her '16 Pilot I have to remember that the darn radio works different and not what I "like" (seems small but you get the idea).....but at the same time her Pilot would walk all over mine in an all out "get up and go" situation.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:42 AM
Default Update

I went ahead and had a local shop replace the timing chains. (Didn't realize there were two.) he said the timing was off a little more than two teeth. Seems to run fine now. I'm still probably going to purchase a new car at some point but this gives the flexibility to decide when. Thabks for all the input as I worked through the problem. I really apppreciate it.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Good to know it is back on the road and doing fine....and yes, with the code/issue you can deal on your terms. Good luck.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:58 PM
Default And a new problem ... sigh

On a trip from DC to upstate New York. Car is running great ... but ....

I'll start a new thread on this one, but my luck this spring hasn't been stellar. A rogue tire tread hit the bottom of my car and did something to the O2 heater wire connectivity. Look for a new thread with the P0141 code.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:33 PM

And a final post. Completed my 1,000+ journey up to NY state. The impact of new spark plugs and the timing chain are obvious. I got 34 mpg coming home, much of the time around 70+ mph. The rating when I bought the car was 33 and 33-35 is what I got when it was brand new. In recent years, I've been lucky to get 27-28. Not too shabby for a 13 year old car (only 135K, but still).

Anyway, thanks again to all who helped me through this. It is so nice to have this resource of knowledgeable and helpful people to turn to.

Tom