General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine dies while driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 06:44 AM
Default Engine dies while driving

Hi Guys,

My accord ( 2010 2.4 auto) dies while driving then it will start back up and lets me drive a short distance before it dies again. This goes on a few times till it won't start at all. Next day it starts back up drives around just fine. Then I drive it at night and dies on me again.
I mention driving at night because it only died on me during the night. It is funny I know.
Also took it to the Honda dealer and they didnt find anything wrong with it. It only sends error codes when the car is dying/wont start so they have no clue at this point.
I thought about faulty oxygen/heat sensors or ignition switch but I cant afford to replace these parts before being certain.
Any ideas? Thanks!!
F1

Old 03-27-2017, 11:03 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by f1rlz
Hi Guys,

My accord ( 2010 2.4 auto) dies while driving then it will start back up and lets me drive a short distance before it dies again. This goes on a few times till it won't start at all. Next day it starts back up drives around just fine. Then I drive it at night and dies on me again.
I mention driving at night because it only died on me during the night. It is funny I know.
Also took it to the Honda dealer and they didnt find anything wrong with it. It only sends error codes when the car is dying/wont start so they have no clue at this point.
I thought about faulty oxygen/heat sensors or ignition switch but I cant afford to replace these parts before being certain.
Any ideas? Thanks!!
F1
If it only happened during daylight hours, I'd say plugged catalytic converter. But, since this happens at night, it sounds more like an alternator that's overheating. Have you changed the headlights since you've owned it? Or added a powerful stereo/amp unit? Just asking as it's possible that the new ones are drawing too many amps for the alternator to keep up. I only mention it, as I've seen that happen before a couple of times.
Another thought is you have something going directly to ground when the lights are on (might it takes a couple of minutes before it shuts the vehicle down). I had that happen with a rear tail light, but it acted more like a kill switch (turned the lights on and the engine shut off, turn off the lights, engine would run).
Sorry I can't help much more without more info.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:46 AM

I did not modify anything at all. Everything is stock. No amp, it still has original lights etc.
I run my headlights during the day as it is required by law here. So i doubt the lights have anything to do with it.
Since there is no error code I am thinking it is the computer that is messed up? I think normally it would store error codes.
Thanks for your help.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Can you take you scanner with you...if/when the car acts up, do not turn the key off and plug it in and see what it is showing?

Note, one of the things in the testing tree is to clear the code(s) and re-start the car and see what comes back. SO if they cleared the codes. started the car and ran it for a while and nothing came back....they very well could have told you they found nothing.

If you don't have a code reader of your own, there are some really simple/cheap ones you can buy.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

We need some more information about what is happening. Do not replace a part on your car until you do more diagnostics.

When the car will not start, what happens when you turn the key? Does the starter spin the engine? Does the engine spin, not run on its own? Or does nothing happen?

The engine computer (PCM) has the ability to save codes. Any error codes should be saved by the engine computer.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:27 AM

When I start the car the starter spins the engine and it feels like it will almost start but it doesn't. And after a few more tries the engine won't even spin. And the next day it starts and drives just fine.
I thought a faulty PCM can't store error codes maybe?

So basically I have to drive around with a code reader in the car?

Thanks again guys.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:51 AM

So the dealer just called me and said it is the fuel pump. They said that is the error code they got.
So my question is: normally when a fuel pump is dead then I am not able to drive my car at all... which was not the case here. So I am thinking there might be some wires broken or some kind electrical contact problem?
I changed the fuel filter with my friend last October and it was a pain in the ***. If we messed something up surely the problem would have occured by now.
Also why didnt the computer store this error code previously?
They want 650 for the fuel pump plus labor.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

The problem with the fuel pump could be mechanical or electrical. Why did you change the fuel filter in the tank? It is not typical maintenance.

Is the $650 is just for the fuel pump assembly?

Old 03-28-2017, 11:17 AM

According to my owners manual I have to change it every 6 years or certain amount of miles. Since I bought the car used (uncertain of true miles on the car) a year ago I throught I might as well change it.

Yes $650 for the fuel pump assembly.

Now that I have been thinking about it, there was a tiny O-ring we could barely put back on the pump. Somewhere between the filter and the pump itself.
Maybe that came loose.

I told the dealer about it, he said I was not supposed to change it, they dont change it either.
They open her up tomorrow, hopefully it will be clear what cause this ordeal.
Thanks again!

Old 03-29-2017, 11:25 AM

So got my car back from the dealer today. They said one of the wires was broken and the pump could not get electricity. They fixed it. Told me drive it around. I drove it for a few hours and everything seems good so far. They only charged me 1 hour of labor since my friend from the VW dealer knows them well.

Quick Reply: Engine dies while driving