General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine malfunction light on (03 accord v6)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:26 PM
Default Engine malfunction light on (03 accord v6)

so my O2 sensor went bad this past summer. and it would periodically turn on my eng malfuntion light and my maintenence req'd light was just always on. i finally had it replaced a couple weeks ago along with the power steering pump (other issue). everything has been fine up until last week when i noticed the engine malfunction light on again. it stayed on my whole drive (probably 2 miles to campus), then i didnt see it again until tonight (2 miles from campus to home). what could this be? will there be any error codes i can pull at autozone? it better not be anything that was just replaced cause im 8 hours from my mechanic :-O i suppose i should also point out that i have alternator issues...even though i doubt its that. i have a custom build 200amp alternator installed to power my mono and 4-channel amplifiers for my stereo. the damn things been squeaking since the day i got it. well...long story short...got 250amp '04 alt dirt cheap...tore up belt (slightly different than '03), ordered a custom 03 one for $300...squeaked like a ****, had it replaced under warranty...squeaking a couple days later. its such a PITA to change the alts in these accords, i didnt want to freakin do it a 4th time! as embarrassing as it is, i just said f*ck it. but my bat light also periodically comes on. someone told me its probably because the alt doesnt have the right voltage regulator in it ad that i should get the right one. ive never really looked into that though. would this have anything to do with the engine malfunction light? if not, what could it be?

mechanic also said i need a tune-up. could it be that? and how hard is it to do the back plugs on the v6? last plugs i did on a v6 was my taurus and i had to like unbolt the engine from the frame and tilt it...it was a total nightmare to do.

Last edited by Fat Ryan; 01-26-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Go to AutoZone or someplace like that to have them read the codes. There's hundreds of different things & it doesn't make sense to guess without knowing the code. Get the code number (P1234 or whatever) 'cause sometimes the guy's explanation can be pretty creative.

Problems with the car's voltage can cause strange errors, so if your regulator is doing funny things then ??? Honda has a system where the ECU has some control over the alternator, so if your custom alternator isn't able to handle those control signals, that might explain some of it.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:38 AM

Well what could I do if the alts voltage is the issue?

Ill go to autozone, possibly this evening after work and class. If not then, then tomorrow.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

If the CEL error points to the ELD or some part of the alternator control system, then we can go from there. But I'll be learning too...

Some people have told stories about strange unrelated CEL & error codes when their battery or alternator is failing. Then when they fix that, the strange unrelated CELs magically disappear.

Maybe you can measure/monitor your voltage as you're driving.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:25 PM

My 03 V6 does not consume any noticeable oil in 4,000 miles, so not all of them consume oil. If your engine is consuming oil, you will have to keep an eye on it between changes. My niece has a brand new 2010 Accord V6 coupe, and it consumed almost 2 quarts of oil in the first 4,500 miles. I would like to know where this oil is going. I had chalked up her oil consumption to the VCM on her engine, but your 03 doesn't have VCM. I wish someone had a good explanation for this.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:52 AM

The code said:

P2195 O2 sensor stuck lean (bank 1 sensor 1)

Please tell me there's just some switch I gotta flip or something, cause if I need to have any real work done on the O2 sensor, ill be pissed. I'm back at school now, 450 miles from my mechanic...

Old 01-29-2010, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Well, the primary O2 sensors are right up on top, where the cats bolt onto the heads. You could check for loose/dirty/corroded wiring plugs at those sensors. (I don't remember which is bank-1.)

Even if you have to replace one, it's easy.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:02 PM

Well I got a warranty but it still sux

Old 01-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

How do you have warranty on a 2003? Is it a CPO car? If so, then you should be able to go to ANY Honda dealer.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
How do you have warranty on a 2003? Is it a CPO car? If so, then you should be able to go to ANY Honda dealer.
its an extended warranty. they covered the first O2 sensor and power steering pump...all but diagnostics and shop supplies...ended up costing me like $80 for both of those things.

Quick Reply: Engine malfunction light on (03 accord v6)