General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine miss firing

Old 02-15-2011, 12:02 AM
Default Engine miss firing

Ok I have a 94 accord ex. Has 154 k. It recently started missing. It doesn't do it when car is idling and it doesn't do it if I am accelerating. It only does it when going a steady speed. It doesn't matter what speed. If I'm just costing with it still in gear it doesn't miss. Since its done this I have changed the spark plugs and plug wires. A friend told me fuel filter I hate having to spend money on things I don't need but I need it fixed please help me out
Also it has the 2.2 litre engine.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

Always diagnose first. The fuel filter has no set interval to be changed, so I would hold off on that for now.

Did you use the NGK spark plug recommended in the owner's manual? Are the other maintenance items up to date like distributor cap, rotor, and air filter?

Is the check engine light turning on while driving? Check for error codes, read how to get CEL codes in the DIY section.

I would also clean out the EGR ports on the intake manifold. Its pretty easy and cheap DIY.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:52 AM

The spark plugs are ngk platinum. And I haven't changed the cap and rotor yet. The air filter is fairly new. Do you have a link to something about cleaning the egr ports?

Old 02-15-2011, 09:42 AM

Go to the basics... every internal combustion engine needs three things to run. Air/Fuel/Spark (in good order) to function correct. Eliminate any one of those you are confident is not the cause. (example: Air) air is something that is mechanically drawn in by virtue of you pistons going up and down, and unless you have a super clogged air filter, it's probably safe to say you can eliminate the Air part of the equation. NOW... do the same with the Fuel and Spark. Are you confident you have a good source of Fuel & Ignition? Bad pump, injectors, filter, etc. can attribute to poor fuel... As for Spark, bad plugs, coil, cables, distributor, etc. can attribute to poor combustion. Also thoroughly check all your vacuum hoses and ensure you don't have any vacuum leaks due to torn hoses... also like the last post said, check your EGR valve and ensure it doesn't need attention... hope this helps.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Here is a link to ...a link that might help with cleaning the EGR ports

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=28456